King Dom Miguel I of Brazil - An Absolutist Brazil Wank

Having quickly refreshed myself on the TTL, I think we're at:

King Miguel is ruling Brazil while claiming to be the center of the Portuguese empire, but Portugal still claims that spot, having reclaimed the non Brazilian colonies. Brazil and Portugal are at an impasse, leaving a de facto independent Brazil. Portugal is run by Queen Maria Isabella (Miguel's sister, married to King Ferdinand VII). A flaw here is that OTL, Maria Isabella died in 1818, of complications of childbirth. Apparently, this death is an additional POD. This will have consequences down the road. Where the thread left off is right around the time of Ferdinand's death, so things will get interesting in MI's rule.

Brazil is going cold turkey at quitting slavery. The economy of Brazil is about to go kaput. Slavery was what ran the country. Sudden withdrawal will cause severe manpower shortage. In the long run, this might be for the best, but short term, times are going to be tough. How does Brazil grow from here? It'll take a while for immigration to fill the void. OTL, immigration was stymied by the horrid conditions causing immigrants to write home telling kinfolk to stay away. And European governments restricted Brazilian immigration recruitment. Miguel has to do a better job at managing the situation. The problem is that Brazil was set up with landowners controlling local power, so central gov't policies did not trickle down. Slave importation was illegal, but booming, for decades before finally being shut down. These landowners can't be expected to cooperate and foster paid labor immigration. They're used to use and discard of slaves/labor.

I would guess a major disruption of the economy. Since this is a Miguel wank, he handles things, weathering the storm and then leading Brazil into strong competency. A long lull, as Brazil adjusts to the new situation, and then increasing growth/development.