Your Personal Pop Culture Utopia timeline

I wish there was some kind of loophole in copyright law that allows for fanfiction to be published for profit by fanfic writers (such as myself), while also ensuring that the original content creators get some kind of royalty.

Here’s what I can think of: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (the Japanese SMB2) never got to be made or was cancelled before it even got released, which means Super Mario Bros. 3 will end up as TTL’s SMB2!

However, this will mean the Poison Mushrooms will either be butterflied away or just simply show up a little later than IOTL.

Last edited:
Pop Culture Utopia, oh boy I could go on for a while on this one:

Spider-Man:
  • Peter marries Gwen Stacy, and they have a happy marriage with no One More Day or any such nonsense. Gwen never sleeps with Norman Osborne
Anime and cartoons:
  • 1994 Spider-man series gets at least one more season and isn't ever subject to censorship, putting it on par with Batman TAS and X-Men TAS.
  • Gargoyles gets more seasons and its planned spin-offs under Weisman.
  • Kitty Pryde is one of the main characters in the 90's X-Men show and Days of Future Past gets a proper adaptation.
  • Digimon and Pokemon switch fates in pop culture.
  • Ash Ketchum gets together with Dawn
  • Gohan becomes the main character in Dragon Ball after the Cell saga. He marries 18.
  • Dragon Ball GT is a success with fans due to a little tighter wrriting and considered canon and the franchise goes on from there. Pan is a breakout character.
  • G Gundam gets a sequel(s) and becomes the standard by which Gundam series are judged.
  • Marvel/DC crossover cartoons in the 90s.
  • 2003 TMNT cartoon becomes the definitive version
  • Cardfight Vanguard/Yugi-Oh crossovers
Live-action TV:
  • Tommy Oliver dies in MMPR, much like his Sentai counterpart
  • Romance between Kimberly and Adam that lasts, kimberly doesn't leave. No Turbo power Transfer or Justin. Team stays through In Space
  • Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation isn't canceled, and that version of the Turtles universe continues as an active part of the Power Rangers myhos. Venus de Milo becomes a standard part of Turtles lore.
  • Masked Rider is a success, leading to more Kamen Rider adaptations, it also keeps its connection to the PRU
  • Power Rangers Hexagon is greenlit.
  • Better Samurai and Megaforce seasons. Megaforce feels like a real anniversary season with lots of cameos throughout.
  • Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters does well in toy sales, making it be considered more of a success
  • David Tennant stays on long enough to break Tom Baker's record as longest running Doctor Jenny, his daughter become a main character on the show. No Timeless Child
  • The Crossing isn't cancelled
  • Star Trek: Discovery is set post-Voyager.
  • Agents of Shield and the Marvel Netflix shows are properly integrated into the MCU
  • Barry marries Kara in the Arrowverse and Iris fades into obscurity.
  • WCW wins the monday Night Wars though better booking TTL an buys WWF
Videogames:
  • Final Fantasy stays with Nintendo instead of going to Sony. (Assume Nintendo has better systems) Final Fantasy 7, etc are on Nintendo cosoles putting a dent in Sony's market share. This leads of a Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo characters instead of Disney.
  • Golden Sun becomes a major Nintendo franchise, complete with Smash Bros representative(s). No massive years gaps betwen games. Games remain good quality
  • A better ending for Mass Effect 3.
  • Less sloppy and more feature rich modern Pokemon games. Probably due to its less prominent place in pop culture above
  • Mortal Kombat 11 doesn't reboot the franchise again.
Literature:
  • Harry marries Hermione, no Cursed Child.
  • No ASoIaF, thus no Game of Thrones TV show.
  • Brandon Sanerson's Cosmere becomes mainstream and gets faithful adaptations
  • No Twilight
Movies:
  • Marvel never sells the rights do its charcters allowing them to put them all in the MCU from the start.
  • Disney buys Warner Brothers allowing us to get Marvel/DC films and a good big screen DC movieverse, maybe tied into the Arrowverse
  • Superman Return gets sequels.
  • Terminator Genysis does well, and the franchise continues in that direction.
  • Star Wars sequels are based of the Thrawn Trilogy and Legends isn't scrapped. We still get the Mandalorian though.
Wow that was more than I thought. I'm sure controversy will be abound with some of these.

Last edited:
What the hell is "GT" supposed to be and why am I supposed to know it?

Other than that, G Gundam has as much to do with the rest of Gundam as it is pretending that Naruto is the standard by which the rest of the anime should be judged.

Adding to my own utopia:

* The Cosmere does not exist, or failing that, it is considered a completely niche thing and absolutely devoid of logic and interest. More or less as the Chronicles of Gor would be considered today.

* Aldnoah.Zero would get less stupid writing and self-development instead of just trying to copy all the old Gundam series at once and a bit of Code Geass (and failing at it). Among the changes that would include, suppressing Slaine and Inaho, making Asseylum and Lemrina less dumb than they were, and that the confrontation of the second season was between them for control of the Vers Empire, not Slaine taking on the entire leadership of the Vers Empire. Empire while Earth was watching.

* For the same reason, Cardfight Vanguard would get a better development than it did in reality.

* In general, anime would get the same mainstream consideration as cartoon in our reality, being the mainstream and not "that weird thing for geeks."

* Youtubers wouldn't have THAT much influence, and people certainly wouldn't blindly accept their nonsense as the revealed truth. And of course, there would be no "Live Reactions" to series.

* The concept of "problematic works" would not exist, since it would be considered to be a mere excuse to justify the censorship of works for such "elaborate" reasons as "I don't like this".

* Neither would there be any attempts to politicize the contents of the series in general.

* The concept of "problematic works" would not exist, since it would be considered to be a mere excuse to justify the censorship of works for such "elaborate" reasons as "I don't like this".

* Neither would there be any attempts to politicize the contents of the series in general.
Speaking hypothetically, what about explicitly political works like Animal Farm or American History X for your second point, or works like the Turner Diaries for the first one?

Aren't those works objectively political or problematic and should be treated as such?

There's a lot I would probably change, so I'll just name ten changes off the top of my head.

1. Doug remains at Nickelodeon, receiving one more season (as was originally planned). Doug's 1st Movie either does not exist or is significantly improved.

2. Nintendo doesn't use that ridiculous advertising for Earthbound ("this game stinks"...really?), meaning it gets more popular earlier.

3. The Jetsons lasts longer.

4. The Simpsons does not go downhill.

5. Family Guy also does not go downhill, and receives a theatrical movie (hey, if Simpsons AND South Park got one, why can't Family Guy?).

6. The Powerpuff Girls is not rebooted by Cartoon Network or the CW.

7. Speaking of the CW, it goes off the air permanently by the turn of the millennium.

8. Rugrats: All Grown Up does not exist. The reboot is 2D (I haven't seen it yet, but the Rugrats character designs do NOT work in 3D).

9. Disney does not create live-action remakes of any of their movies.

And I've saved the best one for last:

10. Star Wars does not receive prequels, sequels, special editions, or holiday specials. The only Star Wars content that exists is the original trilogy...as it was always meant to be.

There's a lot I would probably change, so I'll just name ten changes off the top of my head.

1. Doug remains at Nickelodeon, receiving one more season (as was originally planned). Doug's 1st Movie either does not exist or is significantly improved.

2. Nintendo doesn't use that ridiculous advertising for Earthbound ("this game stinks"...really?), meaning it gets more popular earlier.

5. Family Guy also does not go downhill, and receives a theatrical movie (hey, if Simpsons AND South Park got one, why can't Family Guy?).

7. Speaking of the CW, it goes off the air permanently by the turn of the millennium.

8. Rugrats: All Grown Up does not exist. The reboot is 2D (I haven't seen it yet, but the Rugrats character designs do NOT work in 3D).

10. Star Wars does not receive prequels, sequels, special editions, or holiday specials. The only Star Wars content that exists is the original trilogy...as it was always meant to be.
1: That could have been something. Maybe that last season could be an amalgamation of the OTL Disney era of the show, in which we see a timeskip to the next school year, with the series finale, Doug's Marriage Madness, being the plot of their movie? I'm just spitballing here.
2: What did you have in mind to market the game properly?
3: I thought it already lasted longer through an 80's revival? Unless you meant the original 60's primetime version. In that case, why not pair it with The Flintstones like everyone else does nowadays?
4 and 5: I'm not sure how you can make The Simpsons and Family Guy not go downhill, as those are the television equivalents of multiple-choice questions where no answer is wrong. Although I do see the potential of a FG theatrical movie.
6: Would you rather see [adult swim] give it a sequel series with Craig McCracken's involvement?
7: I'm not sure if you know this, but to make it go off the air in 2000 or so, you'd have to make both The WB and UPN go defunct at roughly the same time.
8: An eye for an eye, I suppose.
9: What do you propose as a replacement for such a successful venture as far as profit goes?
10: But the merchandising still becomes profitable, right?

This provoked a visceral reaction in me.
Hey not eveyone is going to like my utopia, at least you didn't add to yours to take shots at it like others seemed to.
"GT" was supposed to be the continuation of Dragon Ball Z that fans were asking for. However, for a myriad of reasons, it became so bad that Akira Toriyama himself considered it non-canon to the franchise. That bad, folks!
Personally I think it was better than Super.

Speaking hypothetically, what about explicitly political works like Animal Farm or American History X for your second point, or works like the Turner Diaries for the first one?

Aren't those works objectively political or problematic and should be treated as such?
Well, that type of work would not exist, or if it did exist, it would be considered nothing more than delusions of lunatics. Completely niche and absolutely unknown stuff. Not influential things at all. That is the nature of a utopia, bad things do not exist or are minimized.

I speak of The Turner Diaries in this case, since Animal Farm and American History X I have them in "pending to see".

"GT" was supposed to be the continuation of Dragon Ball Z that fans were asking for. However, for a myriad of reasons, it became so bad that Akira Toriyama himself considered it non-canon to the franchise. That bad, folks!
In that case, mentioning this as "Dragon Ball GT" will be a better idea for OP.

Well, that type of work would not exist, or if it did exist, it would be considered nothing more than delusions of lunatics. Completely niche and absolutely unknown stuff. Not influential things at all. That is the nature of a utopia, bad things do not exist or are minimized.

I speak of The Turner Diaries in this case, since Animal Farm and American History X I have them in "pending to see".
Animal Farm is an allegory for the rise of Stalinism in Russia. An allegory, meaning its influence comes from the fact it uses animals to communicate what was going in the real world.

I think you're dreaming of a world where the Golden Age of cable TV, the 1990s and early 2000s, never came to an end.

I am nostalgic for that time period when cable shows were unique and innovative, and not reality and speculative TV shlock.

When the History Channel was still about history.

When the The Learning Channel wasn't the Honey Boo Boo channel.

When Nickelodeon was this exciting thing. I actually got to go to Nickelodeon's theme park when I was about five, and I vaguely remember seeing my mom being a volunteer.

CNN was a legitamitely respected news organization.

A return to the 1990s in terms of entertainment would be a pop culture utopia for me.

Two things I would have liked in the last book of Harry Potter:

1) Voldemort has a much better death scene. After Harry is "killed", and the last Horcrux gone, and the Dark Lord once more mortal, there would be a savage wizard's duel between Snape and Voldemort -- curses against curses, mastery against mastery, wand against wand. It would be nothing like the childish squabbles of Harry and Malfoy. And Snape would win, blasting Voldemort to the ground, with the Dark Lord barely alive. Snape would snap Voldemort's yew wand over his knee (no Elder Wand business), and summon Balefire for the killing spell -- and then Bellatrix Lestrange stabs a knife into Snape's neck from behind. The power consumes both of them, and Voldemort grabs at Snape's wand to Apparate away, and is hit by a dozen fatal curses from the watchers -- including from Harry -- and dies. Through their connection, Harry realizes that he cast the curse that actually did the job.

2) Some redemption scenes for Slytherin House -- culminating, at the final battle, with the Slytherin students and their parents battling against the Death Eaters to "reclaim our founder's good name!". They would come up with a cunning plan and execute it, saving the day and striking the crucial blow that wins the Second Blood War. After the death of Voldemort and the destruction of the Death Eaters, everybody goes to Grand Hall to rest and recover, but for the first time they don't separate according to House -- instead, they all mingle, and make friends, and the old rivalries are put to rest. The Sorting Hat sings one last song, a sad dirge for those lost but grateful that after centuries of division, the four founder's Houses are once again united.

Last edited: