WI: Henry II of France doesn't die in a jousting accident

King Henry II of France was the King of France from 1547 to 1559. He was the son of Francis I of France, and husband to the famous Catherine de' Medici. He continued his father's persecutions of Huguenots in France and conflicted with the Habsburgs. His reign was cut short when he got severely injured during a joust which led to his death. Afterwards, he would be succeeded by his sons (Francis II, Charle IX, and Henry III) all of whom died either young, or heirless, spelling the end of the Valois Dynasty and paved the way for the Bourbon Dynasty, while also beginning the French Wars of Religion.

So, what if Henry II of France didn't get injured in a jousting accident and lived a little longer. Without his death and the premature succession of his sons, how would this effect the French Wars of Religion? And how would it effect geopolitical aspect of Europe at the time?

If he ends up outliving Francis II, would it be possible for MQOS to marry Charles IX? It might have been possible for him to have a fifth son after Anjou

If he ends up outliving Francis II, would it be possible for MQOS to marry Charles IX? It might have been possible for him to have a fifth son after Anjou
Unlikely - I believe Catherine de' Medici's pregnancy with her twins almost killed her and the doctors recommended no more kids. Henry only did his martial duties with Catherine out of duty, so he dropped her from his bed like a stone after that. They have four sons - the death of one is hardly a concern (especially since they don't know their future marital issues.)

Unlikely - I believe Catherine de' Medici's pregnancy with her twins almost killed her and the doctors recommended no more kids. Henry only did his martial duties with Catherine out of duty, so he dropped her from his bed like a stone after that. They have four sons - the death of one is hardly a concern (especially since they don't know their future marital issues.)
I think with a surviving Henry II, he would encourage his sons to start reproducing faster

King Henry II of France was the King of France from 1547 to 1559. He was the son of Francis I of France, and husband to the famous Catherine de' Medici. He continued his father's persecutions of Huguenots in France and conflicted with the Habsburgs. His reign was cut short when he got severely injured during a joust which led to his death. Afterwards, he would be succeeded by his sons (Francis II, Charle IX, and Henry III) all of whom died either young, or heirless, spelling the end of the Valois Dynasty and paved the way for the Bourbon Dynasty, while also beginning the French Wars of Religion.

So, what if Henry II of France didn't get injured in a jousting accident and lived a little longer. Without his death and the premature succession of his sons, how would this effect the French Wars of Religion? And how would it effect geopolitical aspect of Europe at the time?
Henri II was very anti-Protestant. While his wife and sons always sought conciliation, he is likely to fight and persecute Protestants as much as he can. Here, we have two possibilities.
Either the Protestants are quickly crushed and most of them flee France or convert to Catholicism out of terror. Either the Protestants manage to resist and the civil war is even more destructive than in OTL.

I guess you mean a sixth son. Five is the number of sons Henri II and Catherine had in OTL. Or maybe you doesn't count Louis?
In any case, as Tudorfan said, Henri II and Catherine having other children is very unlikely. Catherine had decided to not have children anymore after the twins. She is likely to refuse sex until menopause.

As for a marriage between Charles and Mary, I see it as very likely, even almost sure.
Let's notice Francis has a little chance to live longer. Just before his OTL death, Ambroise Paré had proposed a trepanation in order to try to save him. Catherine de Medici refused because she saw it as too dangerous. With Henri II alive, he would be the one to decide, not Catherine. Francis may gain some time but, considering his terrible health, I am pretty sure he would still die very young anyway. I hardly see him reaching the age of twenty.
Henri II wanted the alliance with Scotland very much and he hoped to also make Mary queen of England and build a united kingdom of France, Scotland, England and Ireland. So, yes, as soon as Francis is dead, Henri II would order a marriage between Mary and Charles. This marriage is likely to be fruitful: both Mary and Charles were fertile and, even if Charles still dies of tuberculosis at the age of twenty-three (which is far from sure), they would probably marry as soon as Charles comes to age, giving them enough time to produce children.

As a result, we would have future kings of France and Scotland and claimers to the throne of England.
Of course, Mary and Charles' descendants are unlikely to manage to get control over England. Maybe Elizabeth I would marry and try to produce children. If she does not, I guess the throne of England would pass to some descendant of Mary Tudor the Elder. Even English Catholics would probably refuse to support Mary as they would not want a personal union with France and they would have Darnley as a Catholic claimer. The French claim to the throne of England is likely to end up like the English claim to the throne fo France: something purely formal. As for Scotland, Mary and Charles' eldest son would be the undisputable heir to the throne but, in OTL, Francis and Mary had lost effective control over Scotland when he died. I am unsure how things would turn out about Scotland.

Also, Charles having a son implies his younger brother Henri never becomes king of France. Would he still become king of Poland? I think so. Henri II would probably like the idea of his younger son becoming king of another country and would support the election. If the young Henri stays in Poland, what would his reign look like? He disliked Poland in OTL but he stayed only three months. Had him stayed longer, he would've probably adapted. And, of course, it implies Stephen Bathory stays in Transylvania and Sigismund Vasas stays in Sweden, which is also very interesting (Sigismund being the Catholic king of a Protestant country).

Last edited:
The survival of Henri II would imply the fact he has to tackle the different issues that plagued France at the time of his OTL death and which contributed to the start of the Religion wars. The fight against calvinists (as they were the main protestant movement in France at the time) is obvious as FouDuRoy mentionned the anti-protestant stance of Henri II, the situation of the soldiers and lords that fought in the wars against Charles V and Philip II and the economical issues as the many Italian Wars contributed to impact the financial capacities of the kingdom while the rise of inflation and other economic factors of the time contributed to enhance unrest.

Henri II would have to tackle these issues in order to prevent social unrest or worse. The good point is that he could prepare his second son Charles to rule if Francis died in the same circumstances IOTL. And as he was forty at the time of his OTL death, he has at least a decade of live if we regard the life longevity of his predecessors (Louis XII : 52 years old and Francis I : 53 years) or a bit more (Louis XI : 60 years, Henri IV : 57 years), meaning his son would be of age when Henri II died in a more classical way.

His relations with Spain and England will be interesting to tackle with the Treaty of Cateau-Cambresis with Philip II (especially with the likely trouble that would strike Spanish Netherlands in the late 1560's) and the rise of Elisabeth I. His survival would at least delay the thrive of Spain as the main catholic power in the end of the 16th century as it benefited from the Religion Wars in France IOTL (the unrest in France "erased" the main contender in the European chessboard for thirty years).

Mary would surely remarry to Charles IX here (as soon he is of age), her uncles would remain powerful counsellors of the King, Catherine de‘ Medici would NEVER EVER got any kind of power and the Protestant faction would get nowhere in France.
Henry could go in Poland OR Henry II could NOT be interested in pushing his second son candidacy there, meaning who one between Archdukes Ernest, Matthias and Maximilian could be elected as King of Poland in his place

This POD seemed quite uninteresting to me some time ago but by writing my TL on the birth of an heir between MQOS and François II I believe that there is indeed something to dig.

Henri II was very anti-Protestant. While his wife and sons always sought conciliation, he is likely to fight and persecute Protestants as much as he can. Here, we have two possibilities.
Either the Protestants are quickly crushed and most of them flee France or convert to Catholicism out of terror. Either the Protestants manage to resist and the civil war is even more destructive than in OTL.
This thing is indeed certain but I would put another thing in perspective, namely the different and even contradictory natures between the Protestant people and the Protestant nobility in France. The first has been the subject of persecution since Francis I and Henry II have intensified it by introducing a form of "Spanish" inquisition in the kingdom of France, but the second was more "tolerated" at least there was no of violent pursuit against the Huguenot aristocrats - only exile from the court was enforced. Thus the reform became a sort of excuse for rebellion against the king, but Henry II was too strong and respected a figure to think of rising up against him, but the accession of the young and weak François II, under the open influence of the Guises, let glimpse an opening against Catholic persecution. The question is therefore whether the reformed nobility will revolt against Henry II or when it will revolt?

In addition, we must add court relations and intrigues. Diane de Poitiers, his Catholic mistress, had suffered a form of partial disgrace and had allied herself with her rival the constable of Montmorency against her former allies from Guise-Lorraine who were gaining influence over Henry II. Each of these actors were intransigent Catholics but with different considerations and plans against the Huguenots.

As for a marriage between Charles and Mary, I see it as very likely, even almost sure.
Let's notice Francis has a little chance to live longer. Just before his OTL death, Ambroise Paré had proposed a trepanation in order to try to save him. Catherine de Medici refused because she saw it as too dangerous. With Henri II alive, he would be the one to decide, not Catherine. Francis may gain some time but, considering his terrible health, I am pretty sure he would still die very young anyway. I hardly see him reaching the age of twenty.
Henri II wanted the alliance with Scotland very much and he hoped to also make Mary queen of England and build a united kingdom of France, Scotland, England and Ireland. So, yes, as soon as Francis is dead, Henri II would order a marriage between Mary and Charles. This marriage is likely to be fruitful: both Mary and Charles were fertile and, even if Charles still dies of tuberculosis at the age of twenty-three (which is far from sure), they would probably marry as soon as Charles comes to age, giving them enough time to produce children.
I go further in this direction, although the survival of François II by the care of Ambroise Paré could leave the Dauphin as weak as Don Carlos? Heals? Or just dead? But Charles (Maximilien) heir is a guaranteed remarriage with MQOS with perhaps the birth of a grandson but with the father still condemned which can give a scenario similar to the succession of Louis XIV, quite interesting.
As a result, we would have future kings of France and Scotland and claimers to the throne of England.
Of course, Mary and Charles' descendants are unlikely to manage to get control over England. Maybe Elizabeth I would marry and try to produce children. If she does not, I guess the throne of England would pass to some descendant of Mary Tudor the Elder. Even English Catholics would probably refuse to support Mary as they would not want a personal union with France and they would have Darnley as a Catholic claimer. The French claim to the throne of England is likely to end up like the English claim to the throne fo France: something purely formal. As for Scotland, Mary and Charles' eldest son would be the undisputable heir to the throne but, in OTL, Francis and Mary had lost effective control over Scotland when he died. I am unsure how things would turn out about Scotland.
A very bad situation for France and England leaving even more hands free for Spain, especially as Henry II can with his authority fight effectively for the control of Scotland. A rapprochement with the Empire by the House of Lorraine or a union of the Duke of Anjou with a Habsburg princess (perhaps Elisabeth of Austria) would be interesting, and let's not forget the accusation by the Prince of Orange against Henry II on the alliance of Catholic sovereigns for the crushing of Protestants at European level, however, I do not see Henry II blandly following Madrid of course.

And what fate for François (Hercule) and Marguerite de Valois? As for Henri de Navarre and his mother Jeanne.

Last edited:
What about a slightly earlier POD? Catherine dies in childbed with the twins. Henri takes one look at François and decides to marry Mary, QoS himself?

If Francis died shortly after wedding like OTL would Henri and Marie be able to marry?
Unlikely as Mary would become Henry’s daughter with the marriage (unless Mary and Francis’ wedding is declared void for not consummation, but would not be easy if Francis died at the OTL date)

If Francis died shortly after wedding like OTL would Henri and Marie be able to marry?
nope, canon law makes Marie his daughter then. @isabella was just an idea. I considered Mary Tudor dying earlier, Felipe switches out the betrothal of himself and D. Carlos, and he tries to get D. Carlos paired with Elizabeth Tudor (as he did OTL) panicking Henri

nope, canon law makes Marie his daughter then. @isabella was just an idea. I considered Mary Tudor dying earlier, Felipe switches out the betrothal of himself and D. Carlos, and he tries to get D. Carlos paired with Elizabeth Tudor (as he did OTL) panicking Henri
Unlikely. Plus Philip had NOT tried to marry don Carlos to Elizabeth (and such match was NOT taken in consideration for what I know) and I doubt who Philip would agree to such match (he married Elisabeth himself as he do not trusted Carlos‘ temperament, and in OTL was not favorable to a match between his heir and Marie Stuart)