WI: Ferdinand II of Naples survives and has issue with his half-aunt Joanna?

IOTL, Ferdinand married his half-aunt Joanna, but then died shortly their after without issue. Joanna was the daughter of his grandfather Alfonso, king of Naples and illegitimate son of Alfonso V of Aragon, and his second wife Joanna, daughter of John, king of Aragon and younger brother to Alfonso V.

If Ferdinand II had survived and had issue with Joanna, would Spain have still overthrown their Neapolitan Trastamara cousins?

If Ferdinand II had survived and had issue with Joanna, would Spain have still overthrown their Neapolitan Trastamara cousins?
Pretty unlikely as Ferdinand II of Aragon was Joanna’s maternal uncle and in OTL he never tried to take back Naples when his sister or her daughter were Queen Consorts there... A son of Ferdinand and Joanna would be likely able to keep his crown with support from Aragon/Spain. I think who the boy (called either Alfonso or John) would be able to marry well, but inside the family: his first cousin Bona Sforza, heiress of Bari (but she is more likely as bride for the son of Frederick, here) or better Beatrice of Portugal, but also a princess of Mantua would be a good match.

but also a princess of Mantua would be a good match.

Why Mantua? Just asking. A margrave's daughter seems a bit low, no? Mean, I doubt we'll see a daughter of Lucrezia Borgia and the duke of Ferrara become queen of Naples, but Bona, or Filiberta of Savoy seem more likely no?

Why Mantua? Just asking. A margrave's daughter seems a bit low, no? Mean, I doubt we'll see a daughter of Lucrezia Borgia and the duke of Ferrara become queen of Naples, but Bona, or Filiberta of Savoy seem more likely no?
Well, first the girl would be daughter of a Marquess not a Margrave (and the girl’s brother would become Duke of Mantua in 1530); second the only daughter of Alfonso and Lucrezia was born in 1515 (so way too young for our prince), third the girl (likely Ippolita born 1503, unless Livia born in 1501 and dead in 1508 survived) is daughter of Isabella d’Este (so niece of Alfonso, Duke of Ferrara and granddaughter of Eleonora of Aragon) and second cousin of her husband.
Isabella’s eldest daughter Eleonora (born 1493) - who like Bona Sforza (born 1494) is a little too old for our Alfonso, who can not be born before 1497 - would become Duchess of Urbino, like her paternal aunt Elisabetta. Bona instead has the right age for marrying Ferdinand of Aragon (OTL duke of Calabria) who is born in 1488
Filiberta can work but I think who Ippolita or Livia Gonzaga would be the more logical match

Last edited: