WI Emperor Anastasius named Patriarch of Antioch instead?

Philip

Donor
IOTL Flavius Anastasius was named Emperor of Rome in 491. However, in 488 he was considered, based on his knowledge of religious matters, for appointment as the Patriarch of Antioch. So, what if he had been made Patriarch of Antioch?

What happens to the (Eastern) Roman Empire? Who would become emperor? I guess butterflies could allow Zeno the Younger to live longer and achieve the purple. Who else is in the mix, is there any chance that person could accomplish the same reforms as Anastasius? Long term, the butterflies likely carry off any chance of Justinian arising, but what about the shorter term?

What happens to the Church? Is having a committed Hesitant Monophysite who is willing to compromise in Antioch really that different than having a mild Chalcedonian willing to compromise there?

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I believe the man actually chosen for this spot was a loyal follower of the Imperial Church's philosophy and well-liked in Constantinople, but hated in Egypt for persecuted the native coptics and followers of monophysm. So that could make Eygypt a more willing member of the Byzantine Empire and, if this was the beginning of an upward trend, a much harder region to convert by Islam (if that religion still had the same rise as in OTL).

IOTL Flavius Anastasius was named Emperor of Rome in 491. However, in 488 he was considered, based on his knowledge of religious matters, for appointment as the Patriarch of Antioch. So, what if he had been made Patriarch of Antioch?

What happens to the (Eastern) Roman Empire? Who would become emperor? I guess butterflies could allow Zeno the Younger to live longer and achieve the purple. Who else is in the mix, is there any chance that person could accomplish the same reforms as Anastasius? Long term, the butterflies likely carry off any chance of Justinian arising, but what about the shorter term?

What happens to the Church? Is having a committed Hesitant Monophysite who is willing to compromise in Antioch really that different than having a mild Chalcedonian willing to compromise there?

I dont know if he would be acceptable in Antioch due to his monophysitism... Perhaps his appointment could led to a schism between Constantinople and Antioch Patriarchates... Anastasius as Patriarch could form an "alliance" with Patriarch of Alexandria Peter III who was a monophysite too and they could sever ties with Constantinople and Rome thus forming a monophysite front in Middle East upseting the Empire... As for the Purple i am sure that Empress-Dowager Ariadne would have picked some palace official to marry and raise him to the Purple... Even Justin is a choice... he would be in forties by then and if he caught Ariadne's eye he could be a choice for the throne...