WI: Catherine of Aragon has a son

What if at some point in the 1510s, Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon had managed to have a son who survived to adulthood? How would that change things in England?

Also, if they have the son early enough (before Ferdinand II dies in 1516), would it be possible for their son to claim the throne of Castile? Because Salic law is not in place in Spain, descent can be claimed through the mother's line. Catherine and Henry would have the same claim to the throne as Joanna and Charles did.... and they have a son. Maybe if Joanna died, they would have the better claim?

EDIT: it seems that Joanna was shipwrecked in 1506 and rescued by Henry VIII. What if she died in that storm, along with her husband Philip?

bard32

Banned
What if at some point in the 1510s, Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon had managed to have a son who survived to adulthood? How would that change things in England?

Also, if they have the son early enough (before Ferdinand II dies in 1516), would it be possible for their son to claim the throne of Castile? Because Salic law is not in place in Spain, descent can be claimed through the mother's line. Catherine and Henry would have the same claim to the throne as Joanna and Charles did.... and they have a son. Maybe if Joanna died, they would have the better claim?

EDIT: it seems that Joanna was shipwrecked in 1506 and rescued by Henry VIII. What if she died in that storm, along with her husband Philip?

Chances are probably very good that he would.

That he would ascend the throne.

Interesting, a United Kingdom of England and Spain.:eek: Good idea, I might take it.

It raises the question though: if the Tudors became King of Spain too, would the center of gravity have shifted to Spain, or would the focal point of the kingdom stay in England?

Interesting, a United Kingdom of England and Spain.:eek: Good idea, I might take it.

It raises the question though: if the Tudors became King of Spain too, would the center of gravity have shifted to Spain, or would the focal point of the kingdom stay in England?

Wouldn't Henry and Catherine's son ascend to the Spanish throne before the English? If so, then it would seem that he'd spend more time in Spain initially. However, I can't see Henry letting Catherine take his son across the seas to rule a foreign land without ensuring that his heir wasn't tainted by accusations of foreign / absentee land lord.

I'm slightly amused by the notion of Henry leaving Catherine in England, with a Regency council and going to spain with his son to be his regent. Thus, neither kingdom is prefered.

I also have grand notions of Regent Catherine with Chancellor Wolsey and Sir Thomas More running around. Catholic English Rennaissance!