WI (ALTERNATE HISTORY TL CHALLENGE): What if certain bands/acts became massive names in music?

Certain bands or acts (Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Queen, Nirvana) seemed poised to have long, fruitful careers of many hits and to change the course of music, and they have. However, other bands or acts are so different, innovative, and great that they seem destined for eternal stardom and fruitful careers of many popular hits and to change music forever, but are either only remembered for one song (The Buggles, Arthur Brown, The Vapors), massive fan followings but are unknown to the general public (Ween, Loreena McKennitt, Aphrodite's Child), or are just altogether unknown or discarded. Let's try to change that. Try to make a timeline, or scenario, or whatever, in which a one-hit wonder, cult band, or some other unknown band broke through and became the next Beatles, Queen or Nirvana. How would music as a whole be affected, and how would the bands or acts themselves deal with their newfound fame? Like "What if the Buggles were big," or "What if Ween were big"? Now, I know a lot of one-hit wonders and underground bands are really big and well loved by many, but, for most people, they are no one and have no impact on their listening tastes. Now, let's change the course of music history, shall we?

Last edited:
Ween to me seems kinda easy.. Have them get slightly bigger during the H.O.R.D.E tour years then have Trey Anastasio die of a od late in 04 and Phish breaks up the vacuum means that many of the Phish fans become Ween fans from seeing them play during the Horde fest and other times over the years. Also do to this Dave Matthews changes up some of the songs that would go on this timelines Stand up album making it slightly darker and talking about death and drugs more.

Ween to me seems kinda easy.. Have them get slightly bigger during the H.O.R.D.E tour years then have Trey Anastasio die of a od late in 04 and Phish breaks up the vacuum means that many of the Phish fans become Ween fans from seeing them play during the Horde fest and other times over the years. Also do to this Dave Matthews changes up some of the songs that would go on this timelines Stand up album making it slightly darker and talking about death and drugs more.
So, the album to break them through would be Quebec? Not a bad choice.

So, the album to break them through would be Quebec? Not a bad choice.
The big push but I think they already would be like OTL doing stuff for Parker/Stone in the late 90's and touring many of the same places Phish and the other jam bands of that era. In our time line many Phish heads blame Dave on Trey getting addicted to some stuff when Trey toured with Dave & Friends in the early to mid 00's so if he ended up OD'ing that would effect Dave to maybe write some darker songs or include some B Sides on his next album which already had a strong anti Bush/Iraq war tone to it. So making the album not so poppy but more dark. (It still go to number one on release do to all the DMB fans but Ween would have some more wiggle room in the Adult Alt/ Alternative space)

The big push but I think they already would be like OTL doing stuff for Parker/Stone in the late 90's and touring many of the same places Phish and the other jam bands of that era. In our time line many Phish heads blame Dave on Trey getting addicted to some stuff when Trey toured with Dave & Friends in the early to mid 00's so if he ended up OD'ing that would effect Dave to maybe write some darker songs or include some B Sides on his next album which already had a strong anti Bush/Iraq war tone to it. So making the album not so poppy but more dark. (It still go to number one on release do to all the DMB fans but Ween would have some more wiggle room in the Adult Alt/ Alternative space)
I like it. Thanks. Let's see what some other people got up their sleeves.....if they care enough to show up.

Sugar, Sugar by the Archies in 1969 was a one-hitter and may have played a role in coinage of the term "bubble gum" for sing-songy material with young appeal at the time classic rock was moving its cutting edge off of the top 40.

Vince Neil and Razzle come back to the party in December 1984 with moore booze and without any incident, and in the following years the Hanoi Rocks breaks through in the US.

In 1979, The Knack debuted with a big number one song "My Sharona." They followed it with a song that never made the top ten and then fizzled, even though the kept releasing albums. From the sound of their big hit, they sounded like they had a future. Maybe a new band member would have given them the spark it would take to keep going.

In 1979, The Knack debuted with a big number one song "My Sharona." They followed it with a song that never made the top ten and then fizzled, even though the kept releasing albums. From the sound of their big hit, they sounded like they had a future. Maybe a new band member would have given them the spark it would take to keep going.
I heard that they never got big because they never interviewed.