Huh. Page 200. Neat!

That milestone aside, wonder how the small, frightened independents are doing in all this - is it like Pax Atomica, where they're all scared pockets of sanity desperate not to bring down the wrath of one of the insane giants on their heads, or are they all just as much insane asylums as the majors in their own uniquely fucked up little ways?
The Neutrality Pact was evidently the former, being a set of garden variety military dictatorships/authoritarian republics. Most of the independents are probably similar, although I would like to see some small countries that are fucked in unique ways, a la OTL North Korea. Paranoid heavily armed neutrality is the wave of the future!

The Neutrality Pact was evidently the former, being a set of garden variety military dictatorships/authoritarian republics. Most of the independents are probably similar, although I would like to see some small countries that are fucked in unique ways, a la OTL North Korea. Paranoid heavily armed neutrality is the wave of the future!
What makes a man turn neutral 🤔 Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Meanwhile, in the modern day Madnessverse, someone is writing a TL with that very premise. And the title is "Decades of darkness".

This got a laugh out of me on a day when I sorely needed one. Thank you.

One wonders what would happen if NUSA and *USA ever heard of each other though.
Admittedly while both are compared to Rome and the RU definitely likes to ape the Roman Imagery. The USA is actually a far truer successor to Rome when you get down to it.

Considering while both did massive conquests of Latin America the USA took a much more gradual, careful approach to it. Preferring to assimilate conquered peoples from the top down and adopting useful ideas from them. Over the horrendously costly and genocidal approach of the RU. Alongside a preference to religious tolerance of other faiths so long as it doesn't threaten the establishment. Not to mention the large scale use of slavery as an institution. Overall I want to the USA from Decades of Darkness is much more pragmatic evil/even evil has standards when compared to the RU.

Honestly I see the USA from Decades of Darkness winning in the long term over the RU in a fusion timeline. (Also add Dystopic Return of Magic, Separated at Birth, Swarm on the Somme and Green Antarctica into the mix).

Admittedly while both are compared to Rome and the RU definitely likes to ape the Roman Imagery. The USA is actually a far truer successor to Rome when you get down to it.

Considering while both did massive conquests of Latin America the USA took a much more gradual, careful approach to it. Preferring to assimilate conquered peoples from the top down and adopting useful ideas from them. Over the horrendously costly and genocidal approach of the RU. Alongside a preference to religious tolerance of other faiths so long as it doesn't threaten the establishment. Not to mention the large scale use of slavery as an institution. Overall I want to the USA from Decades of Darkness is much more pragmatic evil/even evil has standards when compared to the RU.

Honestly I see the USA from Decades of Darkness winning in the long term over the RU in a fusion timeline. (Also add Dystopic Return of Magic, Separated at Birth, Swarm on the Somme and Green Antarctica into the mix).
I dunno I'd give it to the RU, they're willing to do whatever it takes to win

This is getting even more hellish than that ISOT I did a couple months ago where Steele met Stalin. Throw in AANW Nazis while you're at it and you'll have checked off darn near all the evil boxes on this website.

I doubt it. They're not exactly the most functional leadership...
On the contrary, I'd argue a fascist nation where all the decentralized competition for power genuinely makes the nation stronger and leaner and more effective gives it the edge. For Jev's sake there was tons of Worm buildup and turns out Steele was running rings around them the entire time, I'd say that could be seen as a sign of functional leadership. The fact that the RU could make a serious argument to uplift a large portion of the underclass while simultaneously giving them free reign to avenge themselves on their oppressors (given the racial demographics of both groups) creates an enormous potential fifth column in the *US that the RU does not share.

I doubt it. They're not exactly the most functional leadership...

an enormous potential fifth column in the *US that the RU does not share
With any luck they'd destroy each other. If this isn't a case of "A pity both sides can't lose" then there's no such animal.

Perhaps while they were fighting AMPU-verse US could get ISOTed in and wreck them both.

tons of Worm buildup and turns out Steele was running rings around them the entire time
It does show some real competence on Steele's part but in hindsight the Wormies kind of have themselves to blame. Conspiracies are a lot harder than TV and Zap Zephyr comics would have you think. Also, trying to dam the Congo River is the sort of thing that's rather difficult to keep under wraps. And all the odd deliveries of stuff to Patton were always going to get noticed just because, Worm cult or no, Steele never took his eyes of Patton.

With any luck they'd destroy each other. If this isn't a case of "A pity both sides can't lose" then there's no such animal.

Perhaps while they were fighting AMPU-verse US could get ISOTed in and wreck them both.

It does show some real competence on Steele's part but in hindsight the Wormies kind of have themselves to blame. Conspiracies are a lot harder than TV and Zap Zephyr comics would have you think. Also, trying to dam the Congo River is the sort of thing that's rather difficult to keep under wraps. And all the odd deliveries of stuff to Patton were always going to get noticed just because, Worm cult or no, Steele never took his eyes of Patton.
I'm just saying the Worm thing is an example that the decentralized power bases of the RU doesn't automatically equal a less efficient totalitarian engine, given that when most of the organs of government are on side the hold outs can be isolated and purged at leisure

1629834259962.jpeg