TL85: What if Warner didn't lose its cable networks?

mainline-events
uhh... so Warner Communications had lost interest in launching their own broadcast network, as their recent talks with Tribune Broadcasting had just fell through and are currently looking to acquire a pre-established network.

ABC-Capital Cities, General Electric and the Westinghouse Electric Group are currently in the process of submitting bids to Warner Communications, and the highest, winning bidder will be revealed tomorrow... so stay tuned, folks!

uhh... so Warner Communications had lost interest in launching their own broadcast network, as their recent talks with Tribune Broadcasting had just fell through and are currently looking to acquire a pre-established network.

ABC-Capital Cities, General Electric and the Westinghouse Electric Group are currently in the process of submitting bids to Warner Communications, and the highest, winning bidder will be revealed tomorrow... so stay tuned, folks!
Can't wait to see this. What happens to PTEN tho?

Why they still get CBS?
eh, the company's mostly controlled in a similar manner to OTL's Turner Broadcasting, it could be the BEST revenge opportunity for Turner.

CBS takes center stage while UPN gets reduced to being a secondary network with Viacom eventually selling off MOST of it as it becomes TTL's equivalent to The CW.

mainline-events

Warner Communications, Inc. announces intent to acquire NBC from General Electric​

April 17, 1992, 30 Hudson Yards, NEW YORK CITY

1712284835519.png

1712284887765.png

On August 12, 1992, Warner Communications, Inc. has recently announced its intent to acquire NBC from General Electric for 34.7$ billion as a part of WCI's expansion plan known as "Project Millennium" in order to improve its efforts as a company and catch up on recent developments within the media and entertainment field.

By acquiring NBC, WCI would greatly benefit from the network with its hit shows such as "The Cosby Show", "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air", "Law & Order" and "Seinfeld", alongside leveraging WCI's own intellectual property such as Looney Tunes and Batman by introducing them to NBC.

General Electric would start selling NBC to Warner Communications on the start of the 1992 Olympics and eventually transfer operations on Thanksgiving 1992.

Warner Communications, Inc. announces intent to acquire NBC from General Electric​

April 17, 1992, 30 Hudson Yards, NEW YORK CITY

View attachment 899131
View attachment 899132

On August 12, 1992, Warner Communications, Inc. has recently announced its intent to acquire NBC from General Electric for 34.7$ billion as a part of WCI's expansion plan known as "Project Millennium" in order to improve its efforts as a company and catch up on recent developments within the media and entertainment field.

By acquiring NBC, WCI would greatly benefit from the network with its hit shows such as "The Cosby Show", "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air", "Law & Order" and "Seinfeld", alongside leveraging WCI's own intellectual property such as Looney Tunes and Batman by introducing them to NBC.

General Electric would start selling NBC to Warner Communications on the start of the 1992 Olympics and eventually transfer operations on Thanksgiving 1992.
Great!

update-posts

UPDATE POST NUMERO UNO​

April 6, 2024. Currently at home btw​

Alright, I have been busy last week after writing that NBC article and I have currently come up with A LOT of stuff as of recently and I NEED to write about it, so here are the things I'm working on right now:

1. A post where we discuss where Atari is right now, alongside Warner's presence in gaming (which may include some details on Warner's San Diego division)
2. a few more details about Nickelodeon's Looney Tunes reboot
3. Warner Bros. San Diego [NAME PENDING]'s current slate
4. A couple of things about Disney

And last but not least...

Some headache I had about Cartoon Network, Fox Family, and __B_, alongside their owners, Viacom and the News Corporation. (I NEED TO FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT)*

Edit: welp, nvm. Fox Family's staying with Fox, while CN and __B_ are staying with Viacom.

Last edited:

UPDATE POST NUMERO UNO​

April 6, 2023. Currently at home btw​

Alright, I have been busy last week after writing that NBC article and I have currently come up with A LOT of stuff as of recently and I NEED to write about it, so here are the things I'm working on right now:

1. A post where we discuss where Atari is right now, alongside Warner's presence in gaming (which may include some details on Warner's San Diego division)
2. a few more details about Nickelodeon's Looney Tunes reboot
3. Warner Bros. San Diego [NAME PENDING]'s current slate
4. A couple of things about Disney

And last but not least...

Some headache I had about Cartoon Network, Fox Family, and __B_, alongside their owners, Viacom and the News Corporation. (I NEED TO FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT)
We can help out if you want.

update-posts

UPDATE POST NUMERO DOS​

April 13, 2024; still at home​

I was too lazy to write the articles but in the meantime I have cooked a lot of stuff for this TL, which include:

The rebranding of Warner Communications, Inc after succeeding in acquiring NBC:
1712999477862.png

And number two, some stuff about Atari (creds to Amir for the Atari-Nintendo idea):
1712999582948.png

1712999619791.png

1712999698479.png

1712999753804.png

And at the Valve-th place, a potential spin off of the cable services division of NBCWarner's (don't worry, NBCWarner's cable networks aren't going anywhere):
1712999884038.png

And later on, we have a double-packer coming from Warner Bros and Paramount, and we're gonna start off with an unexpected studio to join the House of Bugs:
1712999982488.png

1713000004670.png

And now... we're gonna move on to the big 'ol mountain and see what they can do with Hanna-Barbera (alongside some things regarding Viacom itself):
1713000116393.png

1713000150314.png

Alright, we just covered pretty much of what I've been cooking up lately...

That's All, Folks!

Also, if you've been wondering... if you wanna know the guy that has "Po from Kung Fu Panda" as his profile, it's me.

Last edited:
update-posts

UPDATE POST NUMBER 2.1​

(I sadly broke away from the Spanish numbering system)​

April 13, 2024; currently at my grandma's house​

Alright, this will be a teeny tiny update post for now...

...but let's say that we will fast-forward this timeline from '94/'95-ish all the way to the late 90's/early 00's. I kinda think that it's a bit boring to hover around that time and because of the ideas that I have thought of that are possibly far from the current time period (which is the reason as of why i'm fast forwarding) . But don't worry, I'll post some more after this, especially after I explained what pretty much happens during that period on the previous update post.

I'm gonna post more after this mini-update post, and i'm seriously about to absolutely COOK afterwards.

Soo... yeah, I hope you guys have a good time during this.

mainline-events

CABLE EXTRAVAGANZA '97​

Feburary 3, 1997; by Nick Johnsmith at the Chicago Times​

As we are close to reaching the new millennium, the major multimedia companies are planning to reinvent their channels for the modern age, no matter if it's new shows, or rebrands, or new underdogs, once we blast off into the 2000's, you will never see television the way it was before...

MTV, NBC and Nickelodeon are blazing successes, Warner Bros set to launch fourth basic cable network​

And let us start off the bat with Warner Bros (no pun intended), currently the most dominant company in terms of cable networks, with such powerful cable networks under its belt, such as HBO, NBC, MTV and Nickelodeon. Warner's seeing massive levels of success with their networks, and are continuing to expand on their successes, not only with new programming for their networks, but are also launching a new cable network targeted at a male demographic around the ages of 18-34, mostly focused on sitcoms, dramas, adult animation and live sports, mostly being professional wrestling, set to launch on 1999.

Disney is about to make waves on cable... ...with magic!​

Now that we have completed the talk about Warner, let's move on to their arch rival, Disney.

Ever since the House of Mouse has gotten their hands on ABC/Capital Cities a year prior, they have been starting to treat the television market seriously, and we have been starting to see that with the launch of the new saturday morning program, "Disney's One Saturday Morning", and this is just the beginning though, as Disney and ABC, in partnership with Comcast is planning to relaunch The Disney Channel in the United States in order to catch up with Nickelodeon and the newer Cartoon Network, but that's just not enough for Disney, as they are launching two new channels as well, starting with Freeform, a general entertainment channel targeted towards families, and dedicated to showing sitcoms from the ABC and fellow partner Sony Pictures' libraries. and Cinemagic, a channel dedicated to showing classic movies from various studio libraries. all three channels are launching on Thanksgiving '97, on various cable systems, while the new Disney Channel jumps onto basic cable this summer.

Viacom's survival plan: Kidvid market survival, CBS acqusition and (possible?) TNT rebrand​

Ever since the Turner merger in 1987, Viacom has been locked and loaded and expanded from being an ordinary syndication company into a multimedia titan... although they may face some competition, they luckily got an ace up their sleeve. Well, it's three, actually, but you get my point.

So first off... Viacom's planning to take their flagship Cartoon Network in a different direction, with a new focus on original programming. You might be wondering though, "what would happen to my classic cartoons?", Viacom's thankfully got you, since they're about to launch a 24/7 channel dedicated to the classic cartoons you love and crave for... alongside a retooling of Discovery Kids, which will transform the channel into an educational powerhouse, with all-new original programming from the Cartoon Network Studios and an unannounced edutainment partner.

and up next, they're about to get their original creator, CBS, in order to bolster its presence in broadcast television, and not only have the network reunite with its original library, but a possible international launch of CBS as well.
And if they happen to grab CBS, then UPN and TNT may face an unknown fate...

but for Viacom, they're instead planning to reinvent TNT into a channel for the modern generation, and also have entered talks with Universal Studios to co-own UPN with Viacom.

and Fox is continuing to ride on its tide to catch up​

While everybody else is caught up in a fight for the biggest cable presence, Fox is about to take over Universal's stake of Encore Starz for $1.3 billion dollars and is preparing to acquire International Family Entertainment for $1.9 billion dollars. What does that make? $3.2 billions!

That's right, News Corporation's got more stuff on its belt now, and is about to barge in forward to fight in with the competition, I mean, the Fox network has been doing well lately, so it makes sense to expand on their TV empire...

mainline-events

The Walt Disney Company's assets circa 1998​

1713184980972.png

The Walt Disney Company, commonly known as Disney is an American multinational mass media and entertainment conglomerate that is headquartered at the Walt Disney Studios complex in Burbank, California. Disney was founded on October 16, 1923, by brothers Walt Disney and Roy Disney as Disney Brothers Studio; it also operated under the names Walt Disney Studio and Walt Disney Productions before changing its name to the Walt Disney Company in 1986. In 1928, Disney established itself as a leader in the animation industry with the short film Steamboat Willie. The film used synchornized sound to become the first post-produced sound cartoon, and popularized Mickey Mouse who became Disney's mascot and corporate icon.[1]

Founded: October 16, 1923
Founders: Walt Disney, Roy E. Disney
Headquarters: Burbank, California, USA
Divisions:
Walt Disney Filmed Entertainment, Walt Disney Parks, Walt Disney Networks

Walt Disney Filmed Entertainment​

1713185016036.png
1713185037683.png

* Walt Disney Pictures
* Walt Disney Television
* Walt Disney Animation Studios
* Touchstone Pictures
* Touchstone Television
* Touchstone Animation
* Buena Vista International Distribution
* Buena Vista Syndication

Walt Disney Parks​

Same as OTL
1713185070031.png

Walt Disney Networks​

1713185098014.png
1713185122059.png

1713185170911.png
1713185219605.png
1713185438925.png

1713185502159.png

- ABC
- ESPN
- Disney Channel [Playhouse Disney, Toon Disney]
- Cinemagic [3, 4]
- Freeform [3, 4]
- Animax [3, 4]
- A&E [2]
- The History Channel [2]
- Lifetime [2]

[1] article taken from Wikipedia.
[2] co-owned with Hearst Communications, stake inherited post-Capital Cities merger
[3] co-owned with Sony Pictures Entertainment
[4] co-owned with Comcast

Last edited:

CABLE EXTRAVAGANZA '97​

Feburary 3, 1997; by Nick Johnsmith at the Chicago Times​

As we are close to reaching the new millennium, the major multimedia companies are planning to reinvent their channels for the modern age, no matter if it's new shows, or rebrands, or new underdogs, once we blast off into the 2000's, you will never see television the way it was before...
Oh man......

MTV, NBC and Nickelodeon are blazing successes, Warner Bros set to launch fourth basic cable network​

And let us start off the bat with Warner Bros (no pun intended), currently the most dominant company in terms of cable networks, with such powerful cable networks under its belt, such as HBO, NBC, MTV and Nickelodeon. Warner's seeing massive levels of success with their networks, and are continuing to expand on their successes, not only with new programming for their networks, but are also launching a new cable network targeted at a male demographic around the ages of 18-34, mostly focused on sitcoms, dramas, adult animation and live sports, mostly being professional wrestling, set to launch on 1999.
That's great! What will be the fourth network?

Disney is about to make waves on cable... ...with magic!​

Now that we have completed the talk about Warner, let's move on to their arch rival, Disney.

Ever since the House of Mouse has gotten their hands on ABC/Capital Cities a year prior, they have been starting to treat the television market seriously, and we have been starting to see that with the launch of the new saturday morning program, "Disney's One Saturday Morning", and this is just the beginning though, as Disney and ABC, in partnership with Comcast is planning to relaunch The Disney Channel in the United States in order to catch up with Nickelodeon and the newer Cartoon Network, but that's just not enough for Disney, as they are launching two new channels as well, starting with Freeform, a general entertainment channel targeted towards families, and dedicated to showing sitcoms from the ABC and fellow partner Sony Pictures' libraries. and Cinemagic, a channel dedicated to showing classic movies from various studio libraries. all three channels are launching on Thanksgiving '97, on various cable systems, while the new Disney Channel jumps onto basic cable this summer.

Viacom's survival plan: Kidvid market survival, CBS acqusition and (possible?) TNT rebrand​

Ever since the Turner merger in 1987, Viacom has been locked and loaded and expanded from being an ordinary syndication company into a multimedia titan... although they may face some competition, they luckily got an ace up their sleeve. Well, it's three, actually, but you get my point.

So first off... Viacom's planning to take their flagship Cartoon Network in a different direction, with a new focus on original programming. You might be wondering though, "what would happen to my classic cartoons?", Viacom's thankfully got you, since they're about to launch a 24/7 channel dedicated to the classic cartoons you love and crave for... alongside a retooling of Discovery Kids, which will transform the channel into an educational powerhouse, with all-new original programming from the Cartoon Network Studios and an unannounced edutainment partner.

and up next, they're about to get their original creator, CBS, in order to bolster its presence in broadcast television, and not only have the network reunite with its original library, but a possible international launch of CBS as well.
And if they happen to grab CBS, then UPN and TNT may face an unknown fate...

but for Viacom, they're instead planning to reinvent TNT into a channel for the modern generation, and also have entered talks with Universal Studios to co-own UPN with Viacom.

and Fox is continuing to ride on its tide to catch up​

While everybody else is caught up in a fight for the biggest cable presence, Fox is about to take over Universal's stake of Encore Starz for $1.3 billion dollars and is preparing to acquire International Family Entertainment for $1.9 billion dollars. What does that make? $3.2 billions!

That's right, News Corporation's got more stuff on its belt now, and is about to barge in forward to fight in with the competition, I mean, the Fox network has been doing well lately, so it makes sense to expand on their TV empire...
But overall, great plans.

View attachment 901132
The Walt Disney Company, commonly known as Disney is an American multinational mass media and entertainment conglomerate that is headquartered at the Walt Disney Studios complex in Burbank, California. Disney was founded on October 16, 1923, by brothers Walt Disney and Roy Disney as Disney Brothers Studio; it also operated under the names Walt Disney Studio and Walt Disney Productions before changing its name to the Walt Disney Company in 1986. In 1928, Disney established itself as a leader in the animation industry with the short film Steamboat Willie. The film used synchornized sound to become the first post-produced sound cartoon, and popularized Mickey Mouse who became Disney's mascot and corporate icon.[1]

Divisions:

View attachment 901133View attachment 901134
* Walt Disney Pictures
* Walt Disney Television
* Touchstone Pictures
* Touchstone Television
* Touchstone Animation

Walt Disney Parks​

Same as OTL
View attachment 901135

Walt Disney Networks​

View attachment 901136View attachment 901137
View attachment 901138View attachment 901139
View attachment 901141
View attachment 901142
- ABC
- ESPN
- Cinemagic [3, 4]
- Freeform [3, 4]
- Animax [3, 4]
- A&E [2]
- Lifetime [2]

[2] co-owned with Hearst Communications, stake inherited post-Capital Cities merger
Cool, but what's Touchstone Animation?

View attachment 901132

Divisions:

View attachment 901133View attachment 901134
* Walt Disney Pictures
* Walt Disney Television
* Touchstone Pictures
* Touchstone Television
* Touchstone Animation

Walt Disney Parks​

Same as OTL
View attachment 901135

Walt Disney Networks​

View attachment 901136View attachment 901137
View attachment 901138View attachment 901139
View attachment 901141
View attachment 901142
- ABC
- ESPN
- Cinemagic [3, 4]
- Freeform [3, 4]
- Animax [3, 4]
- A&E [2]
- Lifetime [2]

When does jetix become a thing?

Oh man......

That's great! What will be the fourth network?

But overall, great plans.

Cool, but what's Touchstone Animation?
1. Yes it will be tempting
2. Spike
3. Thank you for liking them.
4. Touchstone Animation is Disney's adult animation division TTL, and Disney actually UTILIZES them and the mainline Touchstone studio instead of buying a studio for billions and setting up a streaming service.