Preserve the Holy Roman Emperor.

No not the Empire, your reading that title correctly.

Hello all. I'm interested in ways the institution of the Holy Roman Emperor, I.e a sovereign elected by the political and religious heads of the various member states of the Empire, could survive. With the twist being that the Empire itself can be disposed of, since really a centralised HRE is just the German Empire with extra steps. Its also probable that the Emperor would be largely a figurehead, more as a symbol of tradition and unity between German peoples in this scenario. Thoughts?

No not the Empire, your reading that title correctly.

Hello all. I'm interested in ways the institution of the Holy Roman Emperor, I.e a sovereign elected by the political and religious heads of the various member states of the Empire, could survive. With the twist being that the Empire itself can be disposed of, since really a centralised HRE is just the German Empire with extra steps. Its also probable that the Emperor would be largely a figurehead, more as a symbol of tradition and unity between German peoples in this scenario. Thoughts?
No napoleon ? Weaker German nationalism the HRE isn’t abolished so is the emperor office not abolished it remain a very loose confederation/institution and not a state ?

No napoleon ? Weaker German nationalism the HRE isn’t abolished so is the emperor office not abolished it remain a very loose confederation/institution and not a state ?

That does seem to be the general consensus. But what could prevent German nationalism, or shift its focus?