Planetocopia Map Thread

Loving the progress, Lowtuff. :)

Thanks, I'm happy to hear that!

Spent the past day fiddling with the boundaries, seems the sea level drop is a bit higher than I thought but at the same time the original map exaggerates a fair bit. I'm fairly confident that the midway point I'm using is accurate, though.

tXeLKnp.png

...I'm genuinely not that sure what I'll do with Antarctica. (At the moment? Leaning towards just sketching the exact coastline here.)

Fairly certain that I've not missed anything this time, but I've gone through the coastlines with a fine comb a few times beforehand and had to add (and remove!) quite a few lakes and islands so clearly not infallible on that front. If anything looks or seems off I'd defiantly appreciate a pointer!

wYLK1Xk.png

Without the ice wouldn't "East Antarctica" be a big island with "West Antarctica" being a chain of islands?

Africa being at the North Pole does show the distortions involved in the map projection being used (not a complaint just an observation).

Without the ice wouldn't "East Antarctica" be a big island with "West Antarctica" being a chain of islands?

Africa being at the North Pole does show the distortions involved in the map projection being used (not a complaint just an observation).

The problem is that without the icecap depressing the land and carving its way through the coasts we really just don't know. On one hand the soundings of the land below the ice suggest a jagged archipelago where the continent was - but the lower sea level and the lack of glacial fuckery will counteract that, but to what extent?

Honest question: why the everloving fuck are there so many islands in the pacific. Like, I genuinely do not know why??

Any case I'm fairly happy with the Australian lakes. Not sure per se if they're _realistic_ but they look nice and are accurate to the basemap and that's enough for me.

y3kIVqF.png

EDIT: Just going to add some reference material while I'm at it...

05Bom5E.png

jVsO3R8.png

Last edited:
You should post the Cassini map in this thread!

Though it wouldn't affect how the map is drawn, how do we think a free floating ice-cap might work? Will people be living on the edge of that thing? What about the volcanic islands that poke up through it?

How much is the reduction in sea level that would result (out of curiosity) ?

It's a bit unclear and the different glaciations change things around a lot, but generally ~30ish metres. Chris Wayan was (justifiably) a bit inconsistent.

Wouldn't the Gulfs of Bothnia and Hudson Bay (and the Great Lakes) not exist without Ice Age glaciation?

Honestly? I honestly, truly do not know. So man y factors come into what those areas should look like and we just know so _little_ about the pre-ice age topography of the place. It's even worse with Antarctica!

Speaking of the southern continent, it's all I have left to do now!

GKX8byP.png

The down side of this is that I have no idea what I'm doing with this thrice damned ice ridden slab of rock (slabs of rocks?? who even knows if it'd be an archipelago or not oh my god). As I've said before, lean towards just drawing it as chris wayan eyeballed it originally, but for the rest of it it's been a matter of mixing chris's work with more accurate topography maps and such and extrapolating based off of the different climate. (You'll note no african fjords. Tempting as they are, I Am Not A Fjord Expert) and in Antarctica's case I have more or less... neither of those.

Almost makes me pine for the Tsalal.

Almost.

Anyway as always eager to hear input, any island chains I've erroneously marked down that really shouldn't exist (no matter how many atolls there are in micronesia, thaaat'll never cease to be embarrassing...) should be redone with extreme prejudice. Any suggestions for Antarctica would be helpful but I don't really expect to make it any more accurate than the original jaredia map without some supercomputer time and basic knowledge of how ice caps work. So yeah, pretty chill.

That is the best opportunity to make that reference ever! :cool:

Fkin brill, the heavens aligned there!

I wonder any *viking stand ins might arise in Jaredia? Swedishesque France? Pakistan, where longships heading west would have some rather greener prospects? New Zealand? (Imagine, viking-polynesians!)

Got some more work done on those fjords, think they look a lot better now IMHO. (still up for criticism of course!)

Smhrmrs.png

Last edited: