In this country , it is good to kill an admiral from time to time

The Ethiopian Overlord (Ethiopia 1902-1910)

When the Great War ended, there were people and nations who thought the Ethiopian Empire and its ruler, Menelik IV, had been too greedy.

Yes, Ethiopia had defeated the Omani Empire on the African continent with Entente support. Yes, from Southern Sudan to Mozambique, the Ethiopians had no opposition anymore. Yes, their anti-slavery stance was widely popular in regions which had suffered for too long of foreign oppression and colonial cruelty.

On the other hand, Ethiopia in 1897 had a population of 15 million people, and its economy, while stronger than it should have been thanks to France, Bengal, and other economic partners, was not on par with the wealth and prosperity a European country took for granted. Worse, this economy had been put under enormous strain during nearly five years.

And now in 1902, Ethiopia had to rule an immense realm where 22.6 million lived. The economic situation was not good in the north, where the core of the Ethiopian territories laid, but they were absolutely disastrous in the south, the former Omani Africa. The Sultan’s warships had been in their great majority sunk, abandoned or were rusting in their harbours. And the companies which had still ships in their possessions were not willing to trade with the Ethiopians.

Empress Charlotte I and most of the Entente thought the Ethiopians had been too ambitious. The Omani, by contrast, thought the Ethiopians were butchers and monsters. The subjects of the Sultanate had never held a lot of hope towards the rapacious conquests of the French, but the Ethiopians, their neighbours, had seemed to be more promising partners. Now it appeared two decades of overture and trade accords had been brutally demolished for more immediate gains, including territory the Omani had administered for generations.

The world conflict had redrawn the maps and the alliances, and the Ethiopians had a harsh wake-up call. To properly administer their new conquests, they needed infrastructure and large sums of money. But the post-war era wasn’t the pre-war one. Two-thirds of the belligerents were ruined, and those who didn’t wanted real reimbursement plans of their previous loans. And Ethiopia had been very lax on this particular issue. Marseille, Anvers, Lorient and several other French cities had many, many bankers who wanted to see Ethiopian money sent back to Europe.

As a result, the relationships between the Great Power and the African Power turned sour extremely quickly. The inter-continental businessmen from the French Empire were not interested in investing Ethiopia anymore, not when they had plenty of lands inside their own nation to deal with and better assurances of profit coming from their allies in the National Assembly.

This new Ethiopian Empire wasn’t inspiring confidence. Order in Omani Africa had collapsed with the Omani Army, and while the Ethiopian Army controlled the coasts, there were provinces deep in the continent which had not yet seen an Ethiopian uniform by 1903. Roads were solely lacking. The less said about bridges and railroads, the better. There were no coal or oil power plants.

Ethiopia officially announced it was bankrupt in Mars 1904, but this announcement did not improve the finances of the Empire. The downfall of Menelik IV’s popularity accelerated, however.

The Emperor had never been complimented for his attachment to accords and traditions, and from his point of view, the refusal of the French to pay for his not-so modest proposals was the last straw. Ethiopia’s participation in the Entente was officially over by summer 1904.

And the new government he chose to enforce order in the South had found solutions to the reign of the outlaws left by the Omani. The Great War had left tens of thousands refugees everywhere, and surely there was no problem if they attracted a few thousands Sikh, Burmese, Chinese or Japanese settlers, right?

Ultimately, the Ethiopian army had to pursue an aggressive campaign in their southern conquests to restore order and even then, too often the bandits fled elsewhere against the onslaught and returned when the soldiers left the field.

Diplomatically, and economically, Ethiopia remained extremely isolated, and between 1905 and 1908, there were internal troubles too. Menelik IV had to fight twice battles against cousins which had the ambition to see the Imperial crown on their heads.

Russia wanted allies, but not at the kind of price the Ethiopians bargained. The Tsarina already had to rebuild Manchuria, Livonia and several large areas, paying for Ethiopia too was not feasible. And the UPNG was rather dubitative at the power and the strength of Ethiopia, not to mention they still wanted to maintain their ties with Oman.

Pacts of non-aggression were signed with Spain in 1908, and a few loans were granted, but the Holy Empress of Madrid had several common points with her cousin of Paris, and one was the suspicion they felt towards Menelik IV.

Ethiopia rebuilt, and a new generation was born, one which had not had to live through the Great War. But the nation was not a Great Power, and to the wrath of its elite, nobody outside its own frontiers treated them like they were one.

In these circumstances, there were few people as hated as Menelik IV. Elections had been convened in the pre-Great War Ethiopian territories, but the high income requirements had made this process a masquerade, and the Emperor named himself the ministers he wanted in the end.

Fortunately for him, Menelik IV had several doubles and excellent protectors. Three times in 1910 he avoided bomb attacks by mere minutes, and in official parade his personal guard killed a gun-carrying assassin before he was able to shoot the monarch.

As the decade progressed in this unsatisfactory direction, Menelik IV believed he had found a solution. After four years of widowhood, he was going to marry a second time.

Interesting. I wonder who he will marry? Perhaps a noble from another nation?

Also, just calculated how many people each part of France had in 1897:

French India: 128 million (though by 1910 the addition of formerly-Sikh Gujarat will add around 10 million people, along with natural population growth)

French Europe: 98 million (though as mentioned, it will be more in 1910)

French America: 40 million (though as mentioned, it will be more in 1910)

Also, the Ghurkas as of 1901 had around 73 million people, though by 1910 this is likely higher. If they ever decide to join the Entente like Bengal, they could become a real powerhouse.

Last edited:
Weird how Spain would invest in Ethiopia of all places. They seem to be heading straight to a civil war once Menelik kicks the bucket.

I knew it, Ethiopia is following the path of the Greedy like Scotland, Sweden and Poland. Did he even open a book about world History? Menelik would have realized that burning bridge with France is an error. I just hope he isn't arrogant enough to refuse to paid his debt to France. By the way, how is the populace of the Empire of France reacting to this new betrayal, is it the last straw that broke the camel's back? I mean, they have reasons to be disillusioned, no?

You also talk about National Assembly for the Empire, shouldn't it be the Imperial Assembly? Or does it mean European France also have its own assembly or is it an error?

Interesting. I wonder who he will marry? Perhaps a noble from another nation?

Certainly a foreign noble. He wants some financial support, and given how poor his nobility is, he must turn to outside shores to find the rare (wealthy) wife.

Weird how Spain would invest in Ethiopia of all places. They seem to be heading straight to a civil war once Menelik kicks the bucket.

Their investment is more on the side of pocket money than true money-lender right now. There's not much risk for Madrid.

I knew it, Ethiopia is following the path of the Greedy like Scotland, Sweden and Poland. Did he even open a book about world History? Menelik would have realized that burning bridge with France is an error. I just hope he isn't arrogant enough to refuse to paid his debt to France. By the way, how is the populace of the Empire of France reacting to this new betrayal, is it the last straw that broke the camel's back? I mean, they have reasons to be disillusioned, no?

You also talk about National Assembly for the Empire, shouldn't it be the Imperial Assembly? Or does it mean European France also have its own assembly or is it an error?

To be sure it less about greed, and the fact they really, really need the money if they want to avoid civil war, implosion and other nasty surprises in a few years.
No, Menelik isn't arrogant enough to not pay the debts. He doesn't wish to receive an amphibious visit from the French Marine Infantry.

The French common opinion is more 'we told them not to absorb that many lands at once...'

The principle is the same...I will see if I want to correct the Assembly name. 'Most August Assembly of the Glorious Empire of Ethiopia' sounds nice...

Well, if he doesn't want to alienate further the Entente, I suppose she will be from Aceh, Sumatra or Madasgascar. Any other will NOT be appreciated by Paris, I think but Charlotte might also be searching a good excuse to separate from her actual allies to find better ones.

Well, if he doesn't want to alienate further the Entente, I suppose she will be from Aceh, Sumatra or Madasgascar. Any other will NOT be appreciated by Paris, I think but Charlotte might also be searching a good excuse to separate from her actual allies to find better ones.
I don't think France would care or have any reason to control it, Ethiopia is not an ally anymore and is no longer forced to only ally with those that France approves of. Also, I am not sure there are that many "better allies" left after the Great War. The only former CA members who will have a chance of working with them are Chuan China and the Ghurkas. And the Chuans are still not likely to make an alliance with France.

If I revealed it before the next update, there wouldn't be any need to read the chapters. ;)
Come now, I’d probably read them anyways.

Hey, I just thought of something: what if the female Shogun who rules the Satsuma Shogunate (they do have a female shogun if I’m not mistaken) marries the emperor of Chuan China? That would ensure an anti-Russia alliance (Satsuma can still be a friend of France, France and Russia are not friends anymore)

Wait a sec, Antony said that 20-22% of what was once Batavia's population is Dutch. Assuming that it is 22% of 27 million people, this would be 5.94 million Dutch people. Am I correct to assume they would all move to Singapore? If so, then Singapore (which is OTL Malaysia) is gonna have a population of about 9.25 million people, almost 2/3 of whom will be Dutch. If they manage to get their crap together, they'll be a decent French puppet.

An Ethiopian Marriage (Ethiopia 1910)

The average citizen in the streets of Paris would have believed it would be extremely easy for an Emperor, Ethiopian or not, to find a wife in Europe.

In practise, succeeding in this endeavour was a bit more complicated than that.

First of all, Menelik IV had been married twice before and was hardly young. While a certain pragmatism had always been the norm in diplomatic relationships and political marriages, the 1910s years were hardly the sixteenth of fifteenth century, and from the very get-go wealthy young women balked at the idea of saying ‘yes’ to a man at least twice their age.

The appearance of the husband-to-be didn’t help the Minister of Foreign Affairs who was sent via Suez by his master. The Ethiopian Emperor had paid a few Portuguese, French and Italian painters in the past to proclaim his greatness...and it had been at the price of inaccuracy. By all credible reports, the real sovereign looked nothing like the image given by the artistic representations, and these paintings were not flattering in the first place. The imperial nose was judged by a famous journalist of Marseille ‘like Cyrano de Bergerac had been reincarnated’, and adding the rest of the damage caused by age and his various vices, Menelik IV could be qualified as ‘pleasantly ugly’.

If Ethiopia had been recognised as a nation on par with the UPNG or Bengal, this lack of beauty could have been regarded as a nonsensical obstacle. But that was the problem. Ethiopia was known on the world map, but despite the importance of its territorial gains – or because of them depending on the person you asked – it was not acknowledged as a worthy peer. At the beginning of an era where technology provided marvels beyond counting and nothing seemed impossible, the Ethiopians were described as backwards. Many industrialists and economists judged they were fifty years behind Europe, only keeping their current status by virtue of their former membership in the Entente.

There was also another problem, though it did not apply to every country. Menelik was black-skinned and the ruler of the only nation on the continent not ruled by European settlers – Madagascar didn’t qualify. Europe – to the exception of the Holy Spanish Empire – had abolished slavery, but the kingdoms, empires and republics were far from the point all would declare a white-skinned man the equal of a black-skinned man.

The Ethiopian diplomatic team was brutally woken up from their optimistic dreams as the first Duchess they proposed the marriage took it like an insult and they were expelled from Madrid’s court in mere hours. The timid overtures of loans and assistance did not last the year. The Empress of Spain and her ministers saw the proposition of Menelik IV incredibly insulting and not just because in their eyes, a Duchess of Spain was a thousand times higher in status than a parvenu African ‘Emperor’.

The list of deceptions after this first refusal was quite long. The overwhelming majority of the countries which had once been part of the Union or the Central Alliance had bled far too much in the Great War to open their doors to the Ethiopians, and unfortunately for the African-born messengers, the economic difficulties of their Emperor was not a well-kept secret. For those who entertained seriously the notion of creating a new union with Ethiopia like Denmark, there were major disadvantages in the way.

First and most obviously, Ethiopia depended on France’s generosity for its survival. The French possessions were ideally positioned at Suez and Aden to blockade the Ethiopian littoral and transport an invasion force should it be required. Menelik IV could boast all he wanted about the marvellous performance of his army, but it was already evident the Ethiopian navy would not last a week after a declaration of war. There was also the reality that by 1910, the European treasuries were barely starting to recover from the wounds of the Great War. Investing in a sovereign who had proved he was definitely not astute, politically or otherwise...there were better options, in Europe or other continents.

It left France. But Paris was pressuring the Ethiopians to pay all their debts on schedule, and it had an impact on politics. No one knew if the Ethiopians would one day try to rise against the French people like the Scottish and too many enemies had done in the past, but past history demanded prudence. If France decided to remove Menelik in a few years and replace him by a more ‘reliable’ Prince, the union would not be worth the paper it was printed upon.

The Ethiopian Emperor was entertaining the creation of a diplomatic team to send to Bengal or China, when the Ottomans decided to involve themselves in the game. Vizier Ahmed Halil Pasha, one of the most important men of the Ottoman Empire, was both ambitious and incredibly rich. He had also an overabundance of daughters to marry.

Menelik IV hesitated for a few days, before finally agreeing. The money would allow him to content his French and foreign creditors, his new wife Ilyana was by all evidence a great beauty, and the Ottoman diplomats had given all the excuse he needed to get rid of several of his illegitimate children and a few disobedient Princes. The marriage was the object of long celebrations, and Ethiopia began to chart a new course in the post-Great War world...

Someone asked for a map on the Central American frontier changes, so here it is...though the rest of the world has not been properly updated yet.

World map 1910.png

Wow, did not expect that. I'm not so certain that an alliance between a Muslim Ottoman Empire and a Christian Ethiopia will last long. But it is certainly an interesting alliance.

I wonder, will the Ottomans make an anti-Russia alliance with Hungary-Austria? And/or Japan?

Thanks for the map, and I like the new states formed from what was once Louisiana.

Strategically, an alliance between Ottomans and Ethiopia does not seem to make much sense, except to attack the French. Which would be national suicide

Wow, did not expect that. I'm not so certain that an alliance between a Muslim Ottoman Empire and a Christian Ethiopia will last long. But it is certainly an interesting alliance.

I wonder, will the Ottomans make an anti-Russia alliance with Hungary-Austria? And/or Japan?

Thanks for the map, and I like the new states formed from what was once Louisiana.

Thanks.

An alliance against Hungary-Austria would not be exactly a big deal. First, the Ottomans have no land frontiers with them, and secondly the Sublime Porte is the biggest naval power of the two (which doesn't say much admitedly). To keep the Hungarians at bay, Constantinople does not need the Ethiopians...something that isn't true of the Russians.

Strategically, an alliance between Ottomans and Ethiopia does not seem to make much sense, except to attack the French. Which would be national suicide

The alliance makes sense if the opponent is Russia and France stays neutral. The Ottomans would need a lot of partners to at least convince the Russian bear to stop for a few seconds and not unleash a second titanic conflict.
But yes, if the opponent is France, the alliance is...sub-optimal. You really need Spain, Hungary-Austria, Greece and a few other nations to slow down the onslaught ordered by Empress Charlotte.

Thanks.

An alliance against Hungary-Austria would not be exactly a big deal. First, the Ottomans have no land frontiers with them, and secondly the Sublime Porte is the biggest naval power of the two (which doesn't say much admitedly). To keep the Hungarians at bay, Constantinople does not need the Ethiopians...something that isn't true of the Russians.

The alliance makes sense if the opponent is Russia and France stays neutral. The Ottomans would need a lot of partners to at least convince the Russian bear to stop for a few seconds and not unleash a second titanic conflict.
But yes, if the opponent is France, the alliance is...sub-optimal. You really need Spain, Hungary-Austria, Greece and a few other nations to slow down the onslaught ordered by Empress Charlotte.

I meant that Ottomans should work with Hungary-Austria (and maybe Japan) against Russia (if Ethiopia decides to help out then the more the merrier). H-A, the Ottomans, and Japan combined have 112 million people, and H-A and Japan have armies of much higher quantity than Russia, not to mention Russia has a lot of minorities to deal with in case of a war and all 3 potential enemies (yes even the ottomans) have better living conditions than Russia. And that’s not even including the fact that Chuan China is likely going to join in, taking all of Wu China (including Manchuria) and ending the Chinese split once and for all.

France..... there is no way France can be stopped. The world had its chance in the Great War, and it failed. India? The Sikh Empire is gone and the Ghurkas are the only ones left who can fight (though I’d like to see them join the Entente). Europe? Please. America? Theirs.