DBWI: Thoughts on Kaiser Heinrich II?

So 2013 was a fairly interesting year for the German monarchy, for the first time since the formation of the country, a ruling monarch abdicated. Wilhelm IV stepped down in favor of his 31 year son Heinrich, the youngest man ever crowned Kaiser and the youngest monarch in Europe. Of course beyond being an unprecedented event its full impact upon German politics is negligible, the Monarch hasn't wielded any real power since the codifying of the 1922 constitution. So beyond asking to form a government the ruling DNVP Chancellor has had to make little in the way changes to his overall program. But there has been intense interest in the new Kaiser, his father had certainly turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. Heinrich had previously spent most of his upbringing in the United Kingdom, with his younger brother Prince Frederick and cousins Prince Edward and Prince Albert, he returned to Germany proper after a brief stint in the Army.

So he has no power and his personality would seem to reflect his mostly British tutelage, he's quite reserved in person and some would say ever a bit dour. However I think the moment we knew that he was going to be different from his fathers lack of awareness and difficulty connecting, was when he gave up his car to allow a nearby family, caught in a rain squall, shelter. He himself walked backed to the Palace in the rain. From there he has been a rather 'active' Kaiser, utilizing his soft power to advocate for the care of the Poor in Germany, increased efforts to transition Germany to low-carbon economy, he's been term the 'Green' Kaiser both in kindness and cruelty, and perhaps most spectacularly of all he has heavily condemned antisemitism in German Society. Stating that Germany would not know the same prosperity and richness it does know were it not for the Jews of the Reich.

Indeed his support for minority acceptance in Germany has extended to even more controversial areas, he has sponsored efforts to convert German works of literature into Polish, Danish and French, he has traveled to Strasbourg and spoken, in fluent French of the difficulty that the region has faced and of the need for moderation of both the pro-separation and pro-German camps. This has all made him some what of a target for the German right, who are in a unique position of disliking him, but being unable to do anything about him.

So what are your thoughts? He strikes me as a very good man in an arena were there have been few of late; take care of the poor, take care of the planet, Jews and Poles do exist so be nice to them.

I personally hope that Kaiser Heinrich remains 'in power' for a good long while. He has certainly been a good ambassador for the country.

Luath.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
He does seem nice- when he was at the (re)opening of the Channel Bridge, he seemed to be charming and intelligent, and enducred himself after he and Duke Charles got nerdy over the Sahara Project :rolleyes: That said, his attitudes regarding Russia and Eastern Europe seem a bit old fashion to be honest, but he looks like he'll have a good, healthy, long reign.

Now his Brother, Fredrick, I'm happy hasn't gotten any chance, especially after he made an arse of himself during the Scottish leg of Wilhelm's tour of Britain.

RavenMM

Banned
Indeed his support for minority acceptance in Germany has extended to even more controversial areas, he has sponsored efforts to convert German works of literature into Polish, Danish and French, he has traveled to Strasbourg and spoken, in fluent French of the difficulty that the region has faced and of the need for moderation of both the pro-separation and pro-German camps. This has all made him some what of a target for the German right, who are in a unique position of disliking him, but being unable to do anything about him.

His speech in Straßburg was disrespecting to all soldiers and civilians who died to keep it german. Yes, we took in many french who fleed their country, but they should integrate, not be pandered to. He is the Emperor of Germany now, he should behave like one. Luckily chancellor Häupl knows better how to handle the situation.

His speech in Straßburg was disrespecting to all soldiers and civilians who died to keep it german. Yes, we took in many french who fleed their country, but they should integrate, not be pandered to. He is the Emperor of Germany now, he should behave like one. Luckily chancellor Häupl knows better how to handle the situation.

Haupl is acting, along with many others in DNVP, as a group of spoiled children. Deliberately cutting benefits to Jewish families and even trying to get the Kaisers publishing House closed!! Its quite clear that the party wanted the King to fight on their behalf, in essence there angry because he's clearly not as conservative as they want him to be and are trying to punish him for that, so what if he can speak French, is well liked by the English and married a Dane, this is all targeted at a man with no real power. Thank goodness the parties going to lose the Reichstag in 2016.

And the Veterans, find him disrespectful? Are these the same veterans who applauded his criticism of the how the Persian War was handled and the failure to adequately aid the German colonial troops returning from the same war?

Now his Brother, Fredrick, I'm happy hasn't gotten any chance, especially after he made an arse of himself during the Scottish leg of Wilhelm's tour of Britain.

Boo, as a card carrying republican I think Fred would make an awesome Kaiser. If you're going to rely on an outdated relic of feudalism to represent your country you might as well have some fun with it. Heinrich comes across as wooden and stiff, but Fredrick seems like the sort of guy who knows how to throw a party.

RavenMM

Banned
Haupl is acting, along with many others in DNVP, as a group of spoiled children. Deliberately cutting benefits to Jewish families and even trying to get the Kaisers publishing House closed!! Its quite clear that the party wanted the King to fight on their behalf, in essence there angry because he's clearly not as conservative as they want him to be and are trying to punish him for that, so what if he can speak French, is well liked by the English and married a Dane, this is all targeted at a man with no real power. Thank goodness the parties going to lose the Reichstag in 2016.

And the Veterans, find him disrespectful? Are these the same veterans who applauded his criticism of the how the Persian War was handled and the failure to adequately aid the German colonial troops returning from the same war?

I'd hardly call the exception from priviledges cutting benefits. Jews don't need the same special help as other minorities, as they are close to germans in all statistics. The situation especially with the poles is different.

And its not about having the ability to speak french - it's about him speaking it in front of german people in the city the French attacked us for. Especially in one of his first public speeches as Emperor. My father fought the Russians in Persia, and he had some not so nice things to say about our commander in chief.

He still has power, he's shaping public discussion. Media is following him everywhere and he can get every message across that he wants. I think he has more followers than the chancellor on twitter. His publishing house is another case like this, the administration and political parties should not have control over media.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Boo, as a card carrying republican I think Fred would make an awesome Kaiser. If you're going to rely on an outdated relic of feudalism to represent your country you might as well have some fun with it. Heinrich comes across as wooden and stiff, but Fredrick seems like the sort of guy who knows how to throw a party.

Sucker punching a waiter over the temperature of champagne is NOT the making of a good leader, no matter what his political alignment is :mad:

I'd hardly call the exception from priviledges cutting benefits. Jews don't need the same special help as other minorities, as they are close to germans in all statistics. The situation especially with the poles is different.

The cuts only came after he spoke out against candidates drawing in voters with long debunked 'Jews are taking over the world' nonsense, which has no place in a rational democratic society, certain not one this hard fought for. And the over reaction to his visit to the Neue Synagogue after 14 of its worshipers were killed in the shooting there. Yes how dare he go and talk to the victims families, how dare he attend the memorial and how dare he weep during the prayers

And its not about having the ability to speak french - it's about him speaking it in front of german people in the city the French attacked us for. Especially in one of his first public speeches as Emperor. My father fought the Russians in Persia, and he had some not so nice things to say about our commander in chief.

He gave pretty much the same speech in German, it opened in French and Closed in German, it recognized that the French in the region had aided the Grand Armee in the last war and that the division had never been properly addressed. All it stated was that Germany should do more to heal the long standing discontent with French speakers of Alsace. Besides he also warned the pro-french side that it was now or never to make good, the new generation is more on the German side than ever before

He still has power, he's shaping public discussion. Media is following him everywhere and he can get every message across that he wants. I think he has more followers than the chancellor on twitter. His publishing house is another case like this, the administration and political parties should not have control over media.

His publishing house exists to translate German works into Polish, Danish and French and vice versa, as well as help obscure writers in those tongues. I would hardly call that control of the media.

In retrospect, I think it's a shame that Heinrich's great-uncle Louis Ferdinand (OOC: I initially assumed that "Wilhelm IV" was the OTL Prince Wilhelm, but given that he was born in 1906, and that would put him over a hundred, I'm assuming it's some stand in) never got a shot at the throne. This might just be the American in me, given that he was wildly popular over here, ever since his goodwill tour in the 40's (my grandmother will go on about what a gentleman he was at the drop of a hat), but I think on the whole he probably would have been better than his older brother. Of course, there's the not-unconvincing argument that not being the heir presumptive allowed Louis to play the "liberal cop" to Wilhelm IV's "conservative cop", but I'd like to believe that some of the nationalistic excesses of the late-40's and 50's could have been avoided if he had been the "Old Grey Man" of Europe. Certainly, given his mild-Russophillic tendencies, we might have avoided the Polish Crisis.

In any case, it's about time we had a fresh face. Wilhelm IV was fine (I think that's the best you can say about him), but everyone knew he was a caretaker Kaiser, and the shadow his father casts across the Reichstag is pretty long. Here's hoping Heinreich can take some cues from his great-Uncle (and cousins) and use the office to subtly get Haupl and the DNVP to play nice.

Also, have they started the betting on who he's going to marry? 31 isn't that old to be a bachelor, right?

Also, have they started the betting on who he's going to marry? 31 isn't that old to be a bachelor, right?

Err... He's all ready married. To the Danish Countess Alexandra Sonderburg, again the DNVP clearly want to, but can't, ask why he couldn't find a good German girl. For all outward appearances their very happy together, indeed the Kaiserin gave birth this year to a baby boy 'Prince Otto' brother to their first child Princess Elizabeth.

God, I wish that America had as good a leader as you guys do. What with 30 years of domination by Huey Long, then the Thurmond presidency...Jeez, it's a mess out east.

Last edited:

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
God, I wish we in America had as good a leader as you guys do. What with 30 years of domination by Huey Long, then the Thurmond presidency...Jeez, it's a mess.

Then why did you keep voting them? I know Long bought about Dictatorship-lit, but it's not like he or Thurmond stopped elections.

God, I wish we in America had as good a leader as you guys do. What with 30 years of domination by Huey Long, then the Thurmond presidency...Jeez, it's a mess.

OOC: All right, I'll bite... :D

IC: Yeah...it's no wonder that the West Coast and Deseret broke away, is it?

Mind you, California isn't exactly a shining poster-boy for democracy. Don't get me wrong, Nixon did a hell of a job building the Californian economy, but...four terms as President? And allying with Imperial Japan, to boot? I wouldn't blame some Californians for wondering was freedom worth it when their sons were coming home in boxes from the Moro War - OK, the Asia-Pacific Co-Prosperity Sphere won that war, but at what a cost...

Deseret's doing well, of course. Though they're insanely militarised. Mind you, that's done wonders for their economy - look at how many nations use Deseret Chariots for their armoured forces. Best Main Battle Panzer in the world...

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Gentlemen, we're getting off track.

I thought the coronation was rather humble, all things considered.

I'm interested by Heinrich's support of the Sahara Project.

Err... He's all ready married. To the Danish Countess Alexandra Sonderburg, again the DNVP clearly want to, but can't, ask why he couldn't find a good German girl. For all outward appearances their very happy together, indeed the Kaiserin gave birth this year to a baby boy 'Prince Otto' brother to their first child Princess Elizabeth.

And this, children, is a lesson in why you shouldn't get your news on European monarchs from supermarket tabloids. It seems like every other day there's some story about Heinreich being seen with this starlet or princess.

Oh come on, Long wasn't that bad. Brought the country out of the Great Depression (yeah, "Share Our Wealth" was kind've a hot mess, but the Fair Deal program was what helped turn things around), won the Pacific War (I take a dim view of the argument that Japan turning revanchist in the 70's was his fault, you can't pin it squarely on Long), and got the ball rolling on Civil Rights. Yeah, after his three terms the next four Presidents all had to go bend the knee, but out of that we got Presidents McKeithen and and Sandford, which isn't that bad of a trade.

I'll give you Thurmond, but a large part of his appeal was that a) he wasn't part of Long's coalition (after Clemson, people had had enough), and b) at the time he seemed like the only candidate who was going to do anything about Cuba and the civil unrest in the South. That he turned out to be a racist, warmongering asshole isn't Long's fault.

Gentlemen, we're getting off track.

True. My apologies, I have a tendency to ramble :D

Regarding the original question...he's OK. As an Irishman, I have mixed opinions on monarchs, given that the British King is still our Head of State.

Don't get me wrong, I like the King as a person, but as my ruler? My opinion varies from one day to the next...

But Heinrich seems alright. The causes he advocates for are good ones, and he's making a genuine effort to remove some of the internal problems that Germany suffers from. After all, Germany's a World Power: it should be beyond problems like this.

OOC: Sorry. I'll get back in context.

IC: I'd rather you didn't criticize Nixon or the Moro War. My uncle died there. We in the PSA are definitely more democratic under Brown than the Americans. I never voted for them. The War of Californian Independence, from 1944-1951, freed us of their craziness.

But, back to the Kaiser. The Sahara Project interests me. Irrigating that much territory seems like a pipe dream, but if it works, that'll be fantastic.

Mid you, we in California could use some of that water...:)

I'm interested by Heinrich's support of the Sahara Project.

Its certainly the most ambitious idea the Brits have attempted in Africa since the second Cape to Cairo Railway, building the largest solar collection array in the world and attempting to craft an artificial Nile to begin irrigating the Libyan desert. If successful we could power all of Europe and North Africa and feed an extra three billion people. Both the Commonwealth Space Agency and EASTO (European Air and Space Treaty Organization) are heavily involved in the project, they plan to use the data from it for the planned joint mission to Mars.

Heinrich is a confessed space geek, he's even a part of the Reddit Kerbal Space Program community. So he has taken tremendous interest in it.

IC: I'd rather you didn't criticize Nixon or the Moro War. My uncle died there.

My apologies :( And don't get me wrong, I can see why the nation split.

Mind you: it's funny that the US still says they 'won' the Pacific War. OK, they evicted the Japanese from most of those little islands in the Pacific and forced them to come to terms (reparations, limits on the IJN)...but after the West Coast broke away, guess who took the islands back? And who started building carriers again. :roll eyes: And the Republic of Hawaii is basically a joint Japanese-Californian protectorate.

But, back to the Kaiser. The Sahara Project interests me. Irrigating that much territory seems like a pipe dream, but if it works, that'll be fantastic.

Mid you, we in California could use some of that water...:)

Here's hoping it works. A few old college friends of mine have got work out there - it seems to have been hoovering up Engineering graduates from all over the Commonwealth.

Its certainly the most ambitious idea the Brits have attempted in Africa since the second Cape to Cairo Railway, building the largest solar collection array in the world and attempting to craft an artificial Nile to begin irrigating the Libyan desert. If successful we could power all of Europe and North Africa and feed an extra three billion people. Both the Commonwealth Space Agency and EASTO (European Air and Space Treaty Organization) are heavily involved in the project, they plan to use the data from it for the planned joint mission to Mars.

One thing I do like about being part of the Commonwealth: the CSA has Irish astronauts. There's more than a few of our men and women up in Shackleton Luna-Base right now.

theg*ddam*hoi2fan said:
One thing I do like about being part of the Commonwealth: the CSA has Irish astronauts. There's more than a few of our men and women up in Shackleton Luna-Base right now.

Unfortunately, no North American spacemen! Ah well. You guys, the Germans, and the Japanese have what seems like a monopoly on space travel. From what I hear, they're about to begin lunar colonization at the Bismarckbahnhof?

Well, it couldn't have come any sooner, what with the Potsdam catastrophe and all. Truly a tragedy.

OOC: This is getting a bit Kaiserreich-y for me. I love Kaiserreich, though. ;)