Calvin Coolidge dies in office, President Dawes

As history tells us Calvin Coolidge Jr. died of blood poisioning on July 7th 1924 of blood poisoning, sending his father President Coolidge into a depression that would last the rest of his life. However President Coolidge still ran for and won the Presidency in 1925, his only elected term. All that stys the same her. The difference here is that te President's depression leads to a deteroration of health and he dies Augaust 15th 195 and his Vice President Charles Gates Dawes is sworn into office.

How does a Dawes Presidency go and how does it affect history?

Dawes was a very different man than Coolidge. I think if he were to succeed him in 1925, his presidency would effectively alter American history. He seems to have had a mind for economics and reform, I wonder if he could have pushed through enough reforms to avert or at least lessen the Great Depression...

Dawes was a very different man than Coolidge. I think if he were to succeed him in 1925, his presidency would effectively alter American history. He seems to have had a mind for economics and reform, I wonder if he could have pushed through enough reforms to avert or at least lessen the Great Depression...
Maybe. Then again he did mange to tick off the entire US Senate in his Vice Presidental inaguration speech.

Theres a great post here about the GD. Basically:
-----
So, with too much having been said, can you avoid all that caused the Great Depression? Well, no. Probably not if your POD is after Versailles. But a fair number of other changes, even taken individually, could lead to those causes fizzling into a rather forgettable typical recession in most countries.

Dawes did win the Nobel Pace Prize for formuating a plan that temporarily stimulated the German economy, however said plan was unsustanible and replaced by the Young Plan, still that is impressive. So yes he has an economic mind. If he decides to run for his own term, which is probably likely that butterflies away Hoover in '29. We might see Dawes vs. FDR in the election of 1932 but if Dawes has managed to soften the Great Depression in the US by any significant amount, who knows how that would turn out...

As others have said, I think Dawes asention to the presidency probably makes the Great Depression shallower, but imho it'd still be one of the worst ressessions the US (and the world) have experienced to that date.

Though Dawes may want to regulate the Stockmarket, would the congress go along with that? Normalcy was more popular than ever in 1925, which could hinder Dawes attempts to prevent any kind of depression occuring, along with any internationalist ideas he may have.

I still think Dawes beats Smith handily in the 28 election (though probably not by as healthy a margin as Hoover did in OTL).

I think Dawes reacts differently to Hoover after the economy slumps though, that'll be where he could make the most difference I think.

In 1932, I can see FDR as the democratic nominee still. He's their best bet in that year and since Dawes has prevented the worst of the Great Depression, the republicans won't be in as much dire straights as they were in real life.

That said, the Democrats are still favoured to win and although the victory is somewhat closer, FDR beats someone else (Dawes probably wouldn't go for a third term imho).

I'd say you're in to guess work from that point on-does Hitler come to power? If so, are the countries he invaded in OTL better able to defend themselves, because of the improved economy?

Without Hitler and World War II, FDR chooses not to run in 1940, stepping down at the end of 2 fairly successful terms as president. You may well see Herbert Hoover win in 1940 if that happens-he hasn't been in office during the worst depression in US History, so chances are he's still popular with the public at large.

As others have said, I think Dawes asention to the presidency probably makes the Great Depression shallower, but imho it'd still be one of the worst ressessions the US (and the world) have experienced to that date.

Though Dawes may want to regulate the Stockmarket, would the congress go along with that? Normalcy was more popular than ever in 1925, which could hinder Dawes attempts to prevent any kind of depression occuring, along with any internationalist ideas he may have.

I still think Dawes beats Smith handily in the 28 election (though probably not by as healthy a margin as Hoover did in OTL).

I think Dawes reacts differently to Hoover after the economy slumps though, that'll be where he could make the most difference I think.

In 1932, I can see FDR as the democratic nominee still. He's their best bet in that year and since Dawes has prevented the worst of the Great Depression, the republicans won't be in as much dire straights as they were in real life.

That said, the Democrats are still favoured to win and although the victory is somewhat closer, FDR beats someone else (Dawes probably wouldn't go for a third term imho).

I'd say you're in to guess work from that point on-does Hitler come to power? If so, are the countries he invaded in OTL better able to defend themselves, because of the improved economy?

Without Hitler and World War II, FDR chooses not to run in 1940, stepping down at the end of 2 fairly successful terms as president. You may well see Herbert Hoover win in 1940 if that happens-he hasn't been in office during the worst depression in US History, so chances are he's still popular with the public at large.
Well let's say we butterfly the Nazis away, because that is possible here. The Weimar Republic weak as it is holds on and Stalin becomes Europe's Boogyman. War in Europe will probably break out sometime around OTL, plus or minus a few years. Perhaps something more minor against Mussolini and then a big war aginst Stalin.

The US and Japan are still on a collision course is in the Pacific so expect a war there. However with Germany not under Hitler's rule, we may nt see the Brain Bleed to the US, bye bye Manhattan Project, at least for now. So it may be Germany who gets the bomb first ITTL and uses it on the Soviets. The US will likely have no reason to even send Lend Lease to Europe so it will be more focused on Japan. A long Pacific War ensues with the US eventually winning. The US becomes the Big Pacfic power withe US ied up in Europe and helps the Kuomintang defeat the Communists, so Democratic China and the death of the Communist experement.

The US eventually gets nukes and becomes a big power on the Global state with Germany as chief rival. Of course the Weimar Republic could still collapse down the line and Germany could become beligerent leading to some sort of Cold War but I'm just spitballing.