Bush Becomes Republican Nominee In 1980. Who does he pick to be his running mate?

Hi, I am currently researching and planning out a timeline where George HW Bush becomes the Republican nominee in 1980 and I'm trying to work out who would be a good pick for his running mate.

So I thought I would consult this forum to see who you guys believe could have be a realistic/suitable running mate for Bush to pick had he get the nomination.

What are the prospects of a Bush-Reagan ticket? Bush being more moderate, someone from the conservative side would be logical.

Philip

Donor
What are the prospects of a Bush-Reagan ticket?

I have a hard time seeing Reagan playing second fiddle.

Howard Baker might be a good choice for a Republican President expecting to have to deal with a Democratic House. Jack Kemp could provide some domestic economic experience to supplement Bush's strength in foreign policy.

Bush would get the nomination only if Reagan is sidelined (health issue, etc.). So Baker or Kemp would be most likely. Then again, even Gerald Ford might be a remote possibility.

OK, I can't resist recycling this one (an old soc.history.what-if post of mine):

George Herbert Walker Bush thought back on the long campaign that led him to where he was now--the Republican national convention in Detroit where he was now the party's presidential nominee. He felt certain he could defeat Carter
in November, what with the poor state of the economy and the Iranian hostage fiasco and Russian troops in Afghanistan. How fortunate that Reagan, a bit too overconfident of his one-on-one debating ability, had agreed to a two-man
debate in New Hampshire. Had Reagan insisted on letting Bob Dole and Howard Baker and the other candidates in, either Bush would have had to agree (and let the anti-Reagan vote be split) or else insist on keeping the others out,
which would make him look bad--an "Establishment" candidate out to muzzle all naysayers.

But there was no point in dwelling on the past. His victory against Reagan, both in New Hampshire and subsequently, had been narrow--but he *had* won. Now there was one more big decision left--who would his running mate be? It
had to be a conservative, to satisfy the Reaganites. But not someone like Reagan himself, or even Jack Kemp. They had their own power bases, and they could defy him--even openly--if they felt his administration wasn't conservative enough. No, he needed someone who was young, who was very much of the Right, but whose loyalty he felt he could count on. A good debater who could really cut into Mondale in the vice-presidential debates. Suddenly, a name occurred to him: Congressman Robert Bauman of Maryland! A New Right conservative, and a Catholic, too. He would be just perfect for wooing the "family values" people...

Fast forward through election and John Hinckley's assassination of President Bush in 1981. We proceed to a day in the summer of 1981 when President Bauman, faced with an ugly threat of blackmail by someone with surveillance-
camera footage of an encounter Bauman had thought was secret, makes a television address to a stunned nation. "My fellow Americans: I have something to say which may shock you. Indeed, in a sense it is a shock to me, because I now realize that I have been living in denial for many years..."

Bush certainly resisted picking a powerful nominee in 1988, so someone from the back benches seems in keeping with that.

If the specific circumstances of the primaries require Bush to negotiate with conservatives, he'd probably have to offer it to Reagan at least. Maybe it's so hard for us to conceive of Reagan in the submissive spot because of OTL perceptions? Maybe he would've been okay with it. Conservatives would be very happy with Reagan as VP, not only for what he symbolizes, but because he'd likely be way too old to run in 1988, and the party is often wary of VP choice for that very reason.

If Reagan declines, Kemp and Baker would both likely be happy to be considered.

Bush would get the nomination only if Reagan is sidelined (health issue, etc.). So Baker or Kemp would be most likely. Then again, even Gerald Ford might be a remote possibility.

I don't know, Bush won the first two primaries and was leading before the Nashua debate. If the mic never gets turned off, you could see Bush keep the Big Mo, as he put it. Or, maybe Sears never gets fired and his detractors are proven correct about his ineptness. I understand how things turned out IOTL, but Bush wasn't a joke.

If you want a "state" balanced ticket, with a conservative, why not Congressman from Illinois since 1969, Phil Crane?

He’d probably need to go with a more conservative running mate to balance the ticket. Kemp or Dole could work for that, but a better bet would be someone else-maybe Lott or Crane?

Paul Laxalt seems to be the favorite here on AH.com for George H. W. Bush's running mate. Bush running as a moderate needed a social conservative to balance the ticket ideologically.

Last edited: