As Dreamers Do Part Deux

The Calm Before the Storm
2107643793_d7a5639f10_b.jpg

August 8, 2005
On the set of X-Men: Dark Phoenix in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Shane Black (Director):
"Welcome everyone to the first day of principal photography on X-Men 3."

*cast and crew applaud*

A few moments later....

Hugh Jackman (Logan/Wolverine):
"Hey Gus, are you okay? It's the first day of shooting."

Gus St. Pierre (Remy LeBeau/Gambit):
*Sighs with his head down* "Yeah I'm fine. Except I have a strange feeling...."​

We'll can't wait for the storm! Also can't wait for Gramercy/Peacock Releasing's The Skeleton Key, as one of the mid August 2005 movies, as well as Lionsgate's thriller Red Eye and drama Undiscovered. RKO/Peacock Releasing is eyeing King Kong as a Christmas 2005 event. It should be noted that Columbia is giving the greenlight for a Batman: Year One sequel, and Disney is giving the greenlight for Avengers: Secret Wars, which will be directed by Sam Raimi for 2007.

Entertainment News for Early to Mid August 2005

Hope on the horizon for VHS?

As DVD has become the dominant home video format, one Portland, Oregon-based startup is looking to keep VHS alive as Hollywood begins to phase out major releases on the older format.
- Billboard

Michael Uslan, the new chairman of Columbia-TriStar, confirms that George Lucas will indeed serve as a consultant on a relaunch of the Theo and Gretchen franchise slated for 2008. Lucas, himself a former Columbia executive, created the property as a Saturday morning cartoon which launched on CBS in 1988, only to find its cult audience a year later as part of USA Network's Cartoon Express lineup.
- Variety

Disney confirms that Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego will be released on 2-disc DVD and VHS in December.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Darren Aronofsky says Batman: Year Two will be slated for a Summer 2008 release.
- Wizard

Nicolas Cage expresses interest in a Carmen Sandiego/National Treasure crossover proposed by Disney and Legendary for a 2009 or '10 release.
- Access Hollywood

In Playa Vista, Peacock held a groundbreaking ceremony for a new studio campus that will be home to both RKO Radio Pictures and DreamWorks SKG. Currently, RKO resides on the corner of Melrose and Gower, right next door to Paramount. DreamWorks currently rents office space on the Universal lot. Peacock chairman Michael Eisner said later that Universal will likely stay at their current backlot in Universal City.
- Local newscast on KNBC-TV Los Angeles

Below: Proposed Peacock Film Studios, a possible new home for RKO and DreamWorks.
OTL Proposal:
[Link]
Dreamworks.jpg

The Sports Page
Portland Beavers? Las Vegas Beavers? Nashville Beavers?

The Beavers announce their ballpark proposal has received enough signatures for a special ballot this November.
- The Oregonian

As we await the start of NHL training camp next month, the ticket window in Pittsburgh is open for fans wanting to get their first glimpse of first round pick Sidney Crosby.
- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hugh Jackman (Logan/Wolverine):
"Hey Gus, are you okay? It's the first day of shooting."

Gus St. Pierre (Remy LeBeau/Gambit):
*Sighs with his head down* "Yeah I'm fine. Except I have a strange feeling...."​
Please don't make Gus St. Pierre die. Please!
As DVD has become the dominant home video format, one Portland, Oregon-based startup is looking to keep VHS alive as Hollywood begins to phase out major releases on the older format.
- Billboard
I think I know which startup you're talking about, but what I'm thinking is in a different Oregonian city.
Michael Uslan, the new chairman of Columbia-TriStar, confirms that George Lucas will indeed serve as a consultant on a relaunch of the Theo and Gretchen franchise slated for 2008. Lucas, himself a former Columbia executive, created the property as a Saturday morning cartoon which launched on CBS in 1988, only to find its cult audience a year later as part of USA Network's Cartoon Express lineup.
- Variety
Good for him.
Disney confirms that Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego will be released on 2-disc DVD and VHS in December.
- The Hollywood Reporter
Good idea.
Darren Aronofsky says Batman: Year Two will be slated for a Summer 2008 release.
- Wizard
Nice.
Nicolas Cage expresses interest in a Carmen Sandiego/National Treasure crossover proposed by Disney and Legendary for a 2009 or '10 release.
- Access Hollywood
Brilliant!
In Playa Vista, Peacock held a groundbreaking ceremony for a new studio campus that will be home to both RKO Radio Pictures and DreamWorks SKG. Currently, RKO resides on the corner of Melrose and Gower, right next door to Paramount. DreamWorks currently rents office space on the Universal lot. Peacock chairman Michael Eisner said later that Universal will likely stay at their current backlot in Universal City.

Below: Proposed Peacock Film Studios, a possible new home for RKO and DreamWorks.
OTL Proposal:
[Link]
Dreamworks.jpg
That's a pretty good idea to go with.

- Billboard

- Variety

- The Hollywood Reporter

- Wizard

- Access Hollywood

OTL Proposal:
[Link]
Dreamworks.jpg

The Sports Page
Portland Beavers? Las Vegas Beavers? Nashville Beavers?

The Beavers announce their ballpark proposal has received enough signatures for a special ballot this November.
- The Oregonian

As we await the start of NHL training camp next month, the ticket window in Pittsburgh is open for fans wanting to get their first glimpse of first round pick Sidney Crosby.
- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
1. Cool, nice to see PDX get some love.
2. Can’t wait
3. Make it happen
4. Nice
5. Looks good, should be just fine
6. Hopefully the Beavers can stay in town (On a side note, I do hope Vancouver gets Baseball back someday)
7. Ugh, even in a different World, Crosby ends up a Penguin.

6. Hopefully the Beavers can stay in town (On a side note, I do hope Vancouver gets Baseball back someday)
7. Ugh, even in a different World, Crosby ends up a Penguin.
Vancouver could soon get baseball back because the Marlins have been trying to get a retractable rook ballpark of their own instead of sharing Pro Player Stadium with the Dolphins. The Marlins wanted to build at Bicentennial Park and Downtown Miami but have run into hostile opposition for both sites. If they move to Vancouver, the Marlins have BC Place available albeit temporarily before they can get a park of their own. They also have Nat Bailey Stadium available, but there could be tons of rainouts.

But to get the Marlins, or possibly the Oakland Athletics, Vancouver will still have competition in the form of Nashville, Las Vegas and Charlotte. Sacramento has also been in the running to lure the A's.

The Devil Rays, the former Vancouver franchise, is working on a retractable roof park adjacent to Raymond James Stadium set for a 2008 opening. The Twins are working on a park to replace the Metrodome, most likely on the Target Field site.

Crosby did end up with Pittsburgh, but the Caps still got Ovie. However, Malkin went to the Silver Knights.

Speaking of the Silver Knights, CBS Discovery is in the process of buying the team with the intent to rebrand as the Vegas Dark Knights. Meanwhile, CBS will be the home to chairman John Hendricks' joint venture with MLS, Women's Major League Soccer (WMLS), starting in 2006.

Vancouver could soon get baseball back because the Marlins have been trying to get a retractable rook ballpark of their own instead of sharing Pro Player Stadium with the Dolphins. The Marlins wanted to build at Bicentennial Park and Downtown Miami but have run into hostile opposition for both sites. If they move to Vancouver, the Marlins have BC Place available albeit temporarily before they can get a park of their own. They also have Nat Bailey Stadium available, but there could be tons of rainouts.
Go figure with all the rainouts if they don’t play at BC Place stadium. The only reason really I’d keep the Marlins is because they won those World Series, did that happen ITTL? (Also for the Miami market)
But to get the Marlins, or possibly the Oakland Athletics, Vancouver will still have competition in the form of Nashville, Las Vegas and Charlotte. Sacramento has also been in the running to lure the A's.
Eh, I’d say Raleigh-Durham would make for a better place for baseball than Charlotte considering that market is practically deserted when it comes to sports (and it’s a fast growing area) when Charlotte has the NFL and NBA (and the NHL ITTL). I’d say Oakland should move but i assume they’ve had better history and attendance than the Marlins.
The Devil Rays, the former Vancouver franchise, is working on a retractable roof park adjacent to Raymond James Stadium set for a 2008 opening. The Twins are working on a park to replace the Metrodome, most likely on the Target Field site.
Hopefully both can get new stadiums.
Crosby did end up with Pittsburgh, but the Caps still got Ovie. However, Malkin went to the Silver Knights.
Nice.
Speaking of the Silver Knights, CBS Discovery is in the process of buying the team with the intent to rebrand as the Vegas Dark Knights. Meanwhile, CBS will be the home to chairman John Hendricks' joint venture with MLS, Women's Major League Soccer (WMLS), starting in 2006.
A. Why?
B. Cool to see the WMLS starting up. I assume it’ll be similar to the IOTL NWSL?

On the Phone with Aunt Ivy (August 2005)
FairmontHotelVancouver.jpg

Fairmont Hotel
Vancouver, British Columbia

On August 24, 2005, Gus St. Pierre had been in Vancouver for roughly two weeks of principal photography on X-Men: Dark Phoenix. That day, his cell phone rang...

cellphone-motorazr-(2004).jpg

Gus St. Pierre: "Bonjour?"

Ivy Boudreaux (Gus's aunt): "Hi honey. Where y'all at?"

Gus: "At my hotel room on my day off. Something's up?"

Ivy: "Put the TV on."

*Gus turns on the TV in his hotel room and tunes in to CTV News*

hqdefault.jpg

Sandie Rinaldo (CTV News Anchor):
"At the White House, President Harvey Weinstein is about to address the American people about the crisis unfolding in Gulf Coast of the US..."

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F160618195550-oval-office-empty.jpg

*CTV News goes live to MSNBC's feed of Harvey Weinstein sitting at his desk in the Oval Office*

Harvey-Weinstein.jpg

Harvey Weinstein (43rd President of the United States):
"My fellow Americans, New Orleans has long been a popular tourist destination, home to Mardi Gras, jazz, gumbo and some of the nation's biggest sporting events. Now, our fellow citizens in the Big Easy and other communities along the Gulf Coast find themselves in the crosshairs of what could be one of the deadliest hurricanes in our nation's history. Yesterday, I spoke in a conference call with [NFL commissioner] Paul Tagliabue, [NBA commissioner] Jerry West and [IHL deputy commissioner] Scotty Bowman and advised them to immediately begin making accommodations for the New Orleans teams in their respective leagues. Today, I am invoking the Defense Production Act for our agriculture sector to work in tandem with the Pentagon to provide MRE's. I am also invoking the DPA for our pharmaceutical sector to start supplying medicine to those in need. Thirdly, under the DPA, I urge Disney, Bally, Universal and other theme park owners to open all hotel rooms on their properties to evacuees free of charge. More importantly, I have spoken with Governor Blanco of Louisiana and Governor Harbour of Mississippi and advised them to order mandatory evacuations of coastal areas right now. I have also advised mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans to evacuate his city starting at this moment. In addition, Mayor Nagin confirmed to me that he will open the Louisiana Supderdome to residents seeking shelter of last resort."

Louisiana-Superdome-New-Orleans-Louisiana-USA-04c317fbe632297fccccf82946703959.jpg
02-2005-residents-line-up-outside-superdome-gettyimages-53475656jpg.jpg

Gus (to himself): Shit!

*Gus begins to cry*

FairmontHotelVancouver.jpg

Fairmont Hotel
Vancouver, British Columbia

On August 24, 2005, Gus St. Pierre had been in Vancouver for roughly two weeks of principal photography on X-Men: Dark Phoenix. That day, his cell phone rang...

cellphone-motorazr-(2004).jpg

Gus St. Pierre: "Bonjour?"

Ivy Boudreaux (Gus's aunt): "Hi honey. Where y'all at?"

Gus: "At my hotel room on my day off. Something's up?"

Ivy: "Put the TV on."

*Gus turns on the TV in his hotel room and tunes in to CTV News*

hqdefault.jpg

Sandie Rinaldo (CTV News Anchor):
"At the White House, President Harvey Weinstein is about to address the American people about the crisis unfolding in Gulf Coast of the US..."

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F160618195550-oval-office-empty.jpg

*CTV News goes live to MSNBC's feed of Harvey Weinstein sitting at his desk in the Oval Office*

Harvey-Weinstein.jpg

Harvey Weinstein (43rd President of the United States):
"My fellow Americans, New Orleans has long been a popular tourist destination, home to Mardi Gras, jazz, gumbo and some of the nation's biggest sporting events. Now, our fellow citizens in the Big Easy and other communities along the Gulf Coast find themselves in the crosshairs of what could be one of the deadliest hurricanes in our nation's history. Yesterday, I spoke in a conference call with [NFL commissioner] Paul Tagliabue, [NBA commissioner] Jerry West and [IHL deputy commissioner] Scotty Bowman and advised them to immediately begin making accommodations for the New Orleans teams in their respective leagues. Today, I am invoking the Defense Production Act for our agriculture sector to work in tandem with the Pentagon to provide MRE's. I am also invoking the DPA for our pharmaceutical sector to start supplying medicine to those in need. Thirdly, under the DPA, I urge Disney, Bally, Universal and other theme park owners to open all hotel rooms on their properties to evacuees free of charge. More importantly, I have spoken with Governor Blanco of Louisiana and Governor Harbour of Mississippi and advised them to order mandatory evacuations of coastal areas right now. I have also advised mayor Ray Nagin of New Orleans to evacuate his city starting at this moment. In addition, Mayor Nagin confirmed to me that he will open the Louisiana Supderdome to residents seeking shelter of last resort."

Louisiana-Superdome-New-Orleans-Louisiana-USA-04c317fbe632297fccccf82946703959.jpg
02-2005-residents-line-up-outside-superdome-gettyimages-53475656jpg.jpg

Gus (to himself): Shit!

*Gus begins to cry*
Uh oh......

Something's about to go severely south.....

Go figure with all the rainouts if they don’t play at BC Place stadium. The only reason really I’d keep the Marlins is because they won those World Series, did that happen ITTL? (Also for the Miami market)

Yes. In '97 they upset the Guardians in seven and then bitch-slapped the Yanks in '03.

Cool to see the WMLS starting up. I assume it’ll be similar to the IOTL NWSL?

Women's Major League Soccer (Inaugural season slated for 2006)
Boston Banshees (Owned by Fenway Sports Group)
Charlotte Queens (Owned by Hornets Sports & Entertainment)
Washington Freedom (Owned by Ted Leonsis)
Nashville Sweethearts (Owned by Craig Leipold)
Portland Thorns (Owned by Paul Allen)
San Diego Wave (Owned by Tiffany Disney)
Orlando Pride (Owned by Malcolm Glazer)
New York Power (Owned by MSG Holdings)
Salt Lake Blizzard (Owned by Gail Miller)
Bay Area Cyber Rays (Owned by Ron Burkle)