Antiochus the Saviour: Because we need more Diadochoi timelines!

ANTIOCHUS THE SAVIOUR
150BC: Alexander Balas, a pretender supported by the Ptolemies, overthrows the legitimate Seleucid monarch, Demetrius I. For the next five years, Alexander remains Basileus, with the support of Ptolemaic Egypt and the Roman Republic.

147BC: Alexander’s main sponsor, King Ptolemy VI Philometor, switches his support from the pretender to the legitimate claimant, the teenage Demetrius II, who is in exile on Crete.

146BC: Roman armies raze the cities of Corinth and Carthage to the ground. Ptolemy VI invades Syria at the head of a large army to support the claims of Demetrius.

145BC: At the Battle of Antioch, the Ptolemaic armies prove to be victorious, and Alexander Balas is overthrown. He flees to Arabia, hoping for sanctuary there, but is captured and executed en-route. Demetrius II, together with his even younger brother Antiochus, enters Antioch in triumph. Ptolemy VI, meanwhile, has been killed in battle, and Egypt falls into a brief civil war.

144BC: Riots break out in Antioch against the perceived savagery of King Demetrius’ Cretan mercenaries. The King retreats to Syria, and the infant son of Alexander Balas, Antiochus VI, is proclaimed King by the army. The Parthians take advantage of the chaos to begin a full scale invasion of Mesopotamia.

143BC: The Hasmonean dynasty is restored to power in Jerusalem by Diodotus Tryphon, the backer of the infant Antiochus VI. Tryphon hopes to build up an alternate power-base to remove Demetrius II altogether.

142BC: Diodotus Tryphon deposes Antiochus VI, and names himself sole king. He rules little more than Antioch and its hinterlands, but is a constant thorn in the side of the legitimate dynasty.

141BC: Simon Maccabeus becomes King of the Jews, imposed by Diodotus Tryphon. Demetrius II, now seriously alarmed by Parthian successes, marches east in an attempt to win back his lost provinces.

140BC: Demetrius II wins several victories over the Parthians and initially seems to have cleared them out of Mesopotamia. He now plans to expel them from Media and the Iranian plateau too.

139BC: King Demetrius is defeated in battle somewhere in the Zagros, and begins a chaotic retreat back to Babylonia. He is captured and held prisoner by the Parthians.

138BC: Antiochus VII, brother of King Demetrius, takes power in Seleucia-on-the-Tigris. He immediately marches west to deal with the pretender Diodotus Tryphon. The Jews betray their notional protector, and ally with King Antiochus. At the battle of Dora, Diodotus Tryphon is defeated and executed. In Parthia, Phraates II becomes King.

137BC: The third Numantian war begins. The Roman army suffers a crushing defeat at the hands of the Spaniards, which provokes a major slave revolt in Sicily. The Republic appears to be in a state of chaos, emboldening the Hellenistic states.

136BC: King Antiochus defeats a few small revolts, and spends the year consolidating his rule in Syria, Cilicia, and Judea. The Parthians take advantage of the preoccupation of the Basileus with the west to invade Mesopotamia again.

135BC: Simon Maccabeus, a close ally and friend of Antiochus VII is assassinated. Immediately, the Jews rise in revolt against the Seleucid Empire. The King marches on Jerusalem, and besieges it.

134BC: The young son and heir of Simon Maccabeus, John Hyrcanus, is forced to surrender to Antiochus, and his low status as a client monarch is reasserted. The Jews are forced to pay huge sums in tribute, and to provide men to participate in Antiochus’ planned campaign east.

133BC: Numantia falls to the Romans, and is violently sacked. The Kingdom of Pergamum is bequeathed to the Roman Senate, which leads to a young tribune named Tiberius Gracchus proposing that the wealth be spent on providing land for the poor.

132BC: Antiochus VII marches east at the head of a gigantic royal army. Tiberius Gracchus is clubbed to death in Rome by a fearful aristocracy.

131BC: The Parthians suffer several serious defeats, and are once again forced out of Mesopotamia. Antiochus enters Babylon.

130BC: Another triumphant year of campaigning expels the Parthians from Media. The year ends with Antiochus VII settled relatively comfortably in Ecbatana. His army is dispersed for the winter.

129BC: Attempting to take advantage of the break-up of the Seleucid army, King Phraates of Parthia counter attacks, and occupies several Median towns. Antiochus is initially tempted to attempt to ambush the Parthian king with a small force, but is dissuaded from this plan by his advisers. Seleucid garrisons are advised to hunker down in the towns, and ignore the Parthians.* (Here's the POD. IOTL, Antiochus rashly attempted to attack the Parthians accompanied by little more than his royal bodyguard, and was unsurprisingly defeated. The Seleucids were then expelled from the East for good)

128BC: The Seleucids consolidate their control over Media. In an attempt to start a civil war, the Parthians release Demetrius II, but this ends in failure when the former monarch’s brother greets him peacefully. Demetrius is sent back to Seleucia to reinforce Seleucid control over Mesopotamia.

127BC: Phraates of Parthia is cornered in an obscure mountain fortress somewhere in the Zagros by the Seleucid army. Antiochus is more than happy to bottle him up there, and instead concentrates on mopping up small Parthian nobles on the plateau itself. He winters in Persepolis, and begins a new building project there. About this time he starts to adopt the title "Soter"- saviour.

Rex Romanum

Banned
Hmm, interesting start...
But the Romans and the Parthians are still there, though. IMHO the Seleucids can't hold both of them forever.

Hmm, interesting start...
But the Romans and the Parthians are still there, though. IMHO the Seleucids can't hold both of them forever.

Don't worry, this won't be a super Seleucid-wank in which they go on to recreate Alexander's Empire or anything. Nonetheless, Rome and Parthia have plenty of things that can trip them up at the end of the second century BC...

Typo

Banned
I don't know about the plausibility of a Seleucid revivial at this point, they were sorta dead after Antiochus IV.

But very interesting!

I don't know much about Parthia, but Rome...Marius and Cimbri/Teuton migration?

I've no idea what you're talking about ;)

A rough map of the eastern Med ITTL in 127BC

128BC.png

I don't know much about Parthia, but Rome...Marius and Cimbri/Teuton migration?

Why a surviving seleucid empire should have consequences in that matter? Rome will have troubles, yes, when it tries to expand in the eastern mediterranean sea, but that's it. Heck, Rome with a more "western" eastern border :)D), could concentrate more on the North or South.

Survived Seleucids and Parthians defeated? It's really an original POD... ;)

Also, it's really true they aren't not many Diadochoi/Hellenistic TLs..:D

Two most plausible answers:
1. Random butterflies
2. It is the second POD

I hope not, at least on the first point, that kind of things are a major killjoy for me. :(

Wouldn't be possible to use a ripple effect (I'm making up things, but an event should have stronger effects in its proximity, read war with the Parthians, and almost none whatsoever on a distant land like Germany)?

Thanks for the feedback!

126BC: King Phraates of Parthia surrenders to the Seleucid commander Antigonos. The Parthian king is brought to Persepolis, and is forced to kneel before the Great King Antiochus VII. With news of a revolt coming in from Mesopotamia, Antiochus allows the Parthian king to retain his throne, reigning as a client king in eastern Iran.

125BC: Mesopotamia and Syria have now erupted into open revolt against the oppressive policies of Demetrius, brother of the Great King. The city of Tyre breaks away altogether, and aligns itself with the Ptolemies. Demetrius, however, dies naturally before the year is out. Antiochus leaves Persepolis in the hands of the newly favoured general Antigonos, naming him Satrap of Persia.

124BC: Antiochus returns to the West, and is able to quieten the Mesopotamians by visiting the great shrines of Babylon, ceremonially marching through the Ishtar Gate to mark the Babylonian New Year. The large army assembled by the Basileus is slowly demobilised as he returns west.

123BC: King Ptolemy VIII lands at Tyre with an army backed by the Romans, who are disturbed by the sudden return to power of the Seleucid state. An expeditionary force under the nephew of the Great King, Seleucus, is swatted aside, and Seleucus himself defects, accepting the hand in marriage of Ptolemy’s daughter Tryphaena.

122BC: The Roman/Ptolemaic armies advance eastward, and besiege Damascus. Antiochus remains east of the Euphrates, attempting to build up a large army once again. One of his generals, Epiphanes of Tarsus, is able to secure a couple of small successes, but the overwhelming power of the Republic of Rome appears irresistible.

121BC: Antiochus, unwilling to enter into an open war with the Romans and undo a decade of hard work, sues for peace. The terms are humiliating- an acceptance of his nephew Seleucus as “King of Phoenicia”, and a transfer of sovereignty over Judea to Alexandria. Nonetheless, he retains full control of Antioch and the Meander valley, as well as Cilicia and Mesopotamia.

120BC: Settling down again in Babylon, the Great King embarks upon an impressive series of “restorations” of existing Babylonian buildings that have begun to fall into disrepair. Most notably, he builds a huge mausoleum for his wife Cleopatra, who has recently died shortly after giving birth to their third child, a daughter named Olympias. He also repopulates the city with military veterans.

119BC: Parthia is devastated by Scythian raids, leading to calls for help from the new Parthian king, Mithridates II, who has succeeded his uncle Phraates. Antiochus sends Antigonos of Persia against the invaders, but the allied army is heavily defeated and driven back to Media in disarray. Violent Scythian tribes swarm out across the Iranian highlands.

118BC: Antiochus, accompanied by his eighteen year old son and namesake, marches against the Scythians to relieve the siege of Ecbatana. The enemy is driven back, but in the process, the Great King is badly wounded. Though he will recover, this will be the last campaign he leads. Seleucus of Phoenicia dies, leaving the kingdom to his infant son Alexander. Power is effectively held by the Queen, Tryphaena.

117BC: A peace treaty is arranged with the Scythians, essentially giving them free reign on the Iranian plateau, with the Seleucids holding directly only Persia and the Caspian coastline. The Scythians quickly break up into internal squabbles, and Antiochus is able to reassert some measure of limited sovereignty over them. The shattered Parthians, meanwhile, begin to move towards the upper Euphrates valley.

116BC: King Ptolemy VIII dies in Egypt, and his daughter Tryphaena of Phoenicia, immediately asserts her right to the Ptolemaic monarchy. Allying herself with the Seleucid satrap of Cilicia, Epiphanes, she launches a major naval invasion of Cyprus, and captures the island, executing her brother Ptolemy IX Lathyros.

115BC: The Romans, eager to cut down an Egypt that had looked increasingly strong during the later years of Ptolemy VIII, ally with the Phoenicians, to impose the twenty five year old Ptolemy X Alexander upon the throne of Egypt. Cyprus is ceded to Phoenicia, and a marriage alliance is arranged between the infant king Alexander and Olympias, daughter of Antiochus VIII.

114BC: Violent Jewish revolt against the House of Ptolemy leads to the establishment of a more or less independent Kingdom of Judea under the Hasmonean monarch Joseph I. Joseph is able to establish his power by playing off the various Hellenistic states against each other.

113BC: The Taurisci tribe, allies of the Roman Republic, come under attack from a band of fearsome barbarians, the Cimbri. A Roman army sent against them under the Consul Papirius Carbo is crushingly defeated.

112BC: With news of Rome’s defeat, provincials in Asia rise up in revolt against the hated Republic, supported by Ptolemy Alexander. The Romans send a gifted young general, named Gaius Marius, eastward to deal with the revolt. Antiochus VIII makes a final visit to Antioch and the Mediterranean coastline, to sign a formal alliance with Tryphaena of Phoenicia.

111BC: The Cimbri invades Italy itself, and defeat another large Roman army sent against them. Panicking, the Senate names one Quintus Caecilius Metellus as Dictator. In Asia meanwhile, Marius defeats the rebel army, and the Roman fleet burns the docks at Alexandria.

110BC: The Cimbri invaders take and sack the major towns of northern Italy, before closing in on Rome herself. The dictator Metellus loses his nerve, and he and the Senate flee the city, sending word eastward to Marius who is enjoying a leisurely trip home through Greece. Rome is immediately overcome by looters, who take all they can before fleeing the city. The Cimbri pause twenty miles north of Rome, preparing to launch their final assault.

Rex Romanum

Banned
126BC: King Phraates of Parthia surrenders to the Seleucid commander Antigonos. The Parthian king is brought to Persepolis, and is forced to kneel before the Great King Antiochus VII. With news of a revolt coming in from Mesopotamia, Antiochus allows the Parthian king to retain his throne, reigning as a client king in eastern Iran.

I wonder, is this a smart move? I mean, wouldn't it be better for the Seleucids if they just dissolve the kingdom, partition the territory amongst the surrounding states/tribes, slaughter/enslave as many Parthians as possible, or something like that? Haven't they realize how dangerous the Parthians are?

111BC: The Cimbri invades Italy itself, and defeat another large Roman army sent against them. Panicking, the Senate names one Quintus Caecilius Metellus as Dictator. In Asia meanwhile, Marius defeats the rebel army, and the Roman fleet burns the docks at Alexandria.
Ah, in OTL the Cimbri turned west towards Gaul after defeated Papirius Carbo. So this is random butterflies, I guess? Or maybe because of news of revolt from Asia?

Anyway, Basileus, you forget about Jugurtha. He declared war against Roman Republic in 112 BC IIRC.

I fully agree with the thread title!

A great original POD!

124BC: Antiochus returns to the West, and is able to quieten the Mesopotamians by visiting the great shrines of Babylon, ceremonially marching through the Ishtar Gate to mark the Babylonian New Year. The large army assembled by the Basileus is slowly demobilised as he returns west.

120BC: Settling down again in Babylon, the Great King embarks upon an impressive series of “restorations” of existing Babylonian buildings that have begun to fall into disrepair. Most notably, he builds a huge mausoleum for his wife Cleopatra, who has recently died shortly after giving birth to their third child, a daughter named Olympias. He also repopulates the city with military veterans.

I thought that by this point, Babylon had been deserted and the population moved to Seleuceia on the Tigris?

Good lord your maps are ugly. But your PoD's are golden. ;)

If only I wasn't whoring out my TLs there, this would be sig worthy. As it is, I can only say your comment improved a grim rainy day here in London :D

I wonder, is this a smart move? I mean, wouldn't it be better for the Seleucids if they just dissolve the kingdom, partition the territory amongst the surrounding states/tribes, slaughter/enslave as many Parthians as possible, or something like that? Haven't they realize how dangerous the Parthians are?

Ah, in OTL the Cimbri turned west towards Gaul after defeated Papirius Carbo. So this is random butterflies, I guess? Or maybe because of news of revolt from Asia?

Anyway, Basileus, you forget about Jugurtha. He declared war against Roman Republic in 112 BC IIRC.

The Parthians are vassalised because of news of trouble in Mesopotamia. Antiochus is eager to bring his Parthian war to a vaguelly satisfactory conclusion before abandoning Iran for Babylonia.

The Cimbri invasion of Italy is mostly based on random butterflies, yes. Given we're a good twenty years after the POD now, and the Roman Republic has been heavily involved in eastern Mediterranean affairs, I think it's a justifiable one.

I did indeed forget about Jugurtha, which is very irksome, considering I wrote the update last night, and had a lecture on Jugurtha this morning! Never mind, he'll make an appearance.

I fully agree with the thread title!

A great original POD!

I thought that by this point, Babylon had been deserted and the population moved to Seleuceia on the Tigris?

Thank you very much. Regarding Babylon, I'm not sure whether the city had been fully abandoned by this point- I believe religious ceremonies were still going on there, for example. I think that the city was probably a shadow of its old self, with a population of maybe 10,000. Antiochus is trying to restore it to its glory years.

Argh! Cimbri at the gates of Rome? :eek: I smell hard times for the Republic...:D

Indeed, though this is Rome, after all. It's a major catastrophe- but the Romans have been through this before. The city abandoned though? Who knows which way this could go! :D

Rex Romanum

Banned
Jugurtha and the Numidians can join the "let's mess up Rome" party, together with the Cimbri and the Seleucids. Maybe they can encourage some revolts in Hispania and Greece as well.
Hell, I never realize that the 2nd century BC can be turned into major Roman-screw...