American Revolutionary War as European Land War?

Here's one I don't think I've read here.

The ARW was a far-reaching conflict, whose European powers kept fighting after the Thirteen Colonies had secured independence. Spain and France fought Britain in colonial struggles across the world, invaded Minorca and attempted to do the same at Gibraltar and even Great Britain.

What might be the causes and effects of the conflict becoming a general European war? By this I mean a general land conflict, involving more continental powers, perhaps Prussia and Austria. Perhaps the outcome of the Seven Years' War had been much the same in the United States, but with a less stable peace in Europe, leading hostilities to flare once again.

What might have brought other continental powers into the mix? Does it require a different outcome of the Seven Years War or was there some wrinkle in history that might have gone another way? What does the 19th century look like if the European powers had had one more big scrap before the revolutionary era?

Well, assuming the aforementioned invasion of Britain wouldn't count as a land war, a ground war could be sparked in Eastern Europe if the Partition of Poland either doesn't happen or goes horribly horribly wrong. The Eastern and Central European Powers would probably ally with the Western European Powers along the same lines as the 7 Years War. A more militarized Europe could result - causing the wars of the Revolution to fall flat on their face - or a more exhausted Europe, allowing Revolutionary France to take off even further than it did.

After the 7YW Britain was practically persona non grata among the great powers. Surprisingly though no one decided to attack Hanover while Britain was off screwing around in another continent. Well even with a under defended Hanover on the table, the benefits from such a war likely wouldnt be worth the money and manpower required.

Perhaps though, if the elector of Bavaria dies a death in the same time period, we could have an earlier War of Bavarian Succession and maybe you could work something with that.

Well, assuming the aforementioned invasion of Britain wouldn't count as a land war, a ground war could be sparked in Eastern Europe if the Partition of Poland either doesn't happen or goes horribly horribly wrong. The Eastern and Central European Powers would probably ally with the Western European Powers along the same lines as the 7 Years War. A more militarized Europe could result - causing the wars of the Revolution to fall flat on their face - or a more exhausted Europe, allowing Revolutionary France to take off even further than it did.

The invasion never really got off the ground. They never actually landed on British soil, they were thwarted in some inconclusive naval actions. The plan was for France to retain Portsmouth.

I like this. I was intrigued by an AH challenge thread about increasing the prestige of Czech language and culture, where a proposed solution involved a strong Bohemia, including Silesia, (under one solution independent, another under a stronger Austria) with Czech in the 19th century becoming the language of Bohemian syncretic identity, in contrast to German nationalism. Is there any chance that Austria reclaims Silesia?

After the 7YW Britain was practically persona non grata among the great powers. Surprisingly though no one decided to attack Hanover while Britain was off screwing around in another continent. Well even with a under defended Hanover on the table, the benefits from such a war likely wouldnt be worth the money and manpower required.

Perhaps though, if the elector of Bavaria dies a death in the same time period, we could have an earlier War of Bavarian Succession and maybe you could work something with that.

Please take the slur out of your signature.

I really like the War of Bavarian Succession idea. Perhaps tensions are rising in Europe between Prussia and Austria over the partitions of Poland, which cannot be agreed upon, and war is sparked by the death of the Bavarian elector. The question becomes, what draws Prussia in with Britain or Austria in with France?

This may be where Hanover comes in. Prussia cannot have its western border threatened while it is busy in Bohemia and Bavaria, and Britain would want Prussian support to retain its possession.

In OTL, France and Spain's invasion of Britain never materialized. Perhaps in TTL, they feint an invasion of Britain and instead invade Hanover, forcing Prussia into the war. Austria declares war on Prussia either opportunistically, or in response to the death of Max Joseph, which created an isolated conflict IOTL.

Faced with a two-front war, Prussia is defeated, its rise as the wunderkind of Central Europe is thwarted, and it becomes just another of the more significant German states. Austria wins Bavaria and Silesia, but familiar problems loom in its future. The treasury of France is stretched thin, with familiar consequences.

Thoughts?

Any interest in this one? I think it's an intriguing scenario with some interesting butterflies for the French revolutionary wars.