America, A City on a Hill: The Presidency of Joseph Smith Jr. and Beyond

29 January, 1844: The end of polygamy
The election of 1844 set in motion a new direction for the United States. A direction that would of course be fraught with peril in its own right, but would lead to a transformation like no other. This change would be set in motion by one man: Joseph Smith Jr.

To say that the eleventh President of the United States was a divisive figure prior to his election into office and even during his tenure is a gross understatement. His founding of the Latter-Day Saint Movement had not made him popular by any stretch and many accusations, some true some not circulated around him. The fact that he won the election is oft considered a historical miracle. One largely attributed to his oratory skills as well as that of those who campaigned for him.

29 January, 1844, Nauvoo Illinois:

Joseph Smith Jr., President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints smiled as he looked at the faces in the mayor's office. It had been decided that he would make a run for the highest office in the land. The Presidency of the United States. “I don't expect to carry Missouri.” The comment brought a laugh to the room despite the painful memories of what their faith had gone through in that state. Once the brief moment of levity had passed Smith's face turned somber. “This is not a step I take lightly. It is something I have prayed a great deal about. As a result of my prayers the Lord has seen fit to give me a new revelation: We are to cease the practice of plural marriage at once and dissolve all existing marriages of that nature.”

The room was silent for a moment before Brigham Young, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke up. “Brother Joseph, it was you who taught that doctrine. Surely it was divinely inspired. Why would the Lord command us to cease?”

“Brother Brigham, the wisdom of the Lord is far beyond the confines of man. Such practices have their time and place. The Bible teaches that great patriarchs took part in the practice such as Abraham and Jacob, among others. The fact that such unions have been divinely appointed in the past is not in dispute.

“The truth is that we were hasty in our application of the practice. A time may come when it will need to be implemented again, but this is not the time nor the place. The people of this nation frown on the practice and to continue will only harm our church. So sayeth the Lord. He has spoken and we must obey. Though brethren I also council you that we do this quietly. Drawing attention to it will do us no favors.”

So to explain the point of divergence here. Basically Joseph Smith ends polygamy in the LDS church forty-six years early and nullifies all previous plural marriages. The idea is that this practice being a large part of what was criticized in the Nauvoo Expositor, that it being done away with butterflies that incident and thus his assassination. Thus allowing him to finish his campaign for, and ultimately win the Presidency in 1844.

Is this implausible? Yes. Before people claim that this should be in ASB though let me point out this post that outlines what should and shouldn't be in ASB. This does not fit the criteria for ASB. That said I welcome any help to keep this timeline as plausible as possible. Starting of course with the campaign trail.

Thank you in advance for your readership and help. I'm well aware we're dealing with a divisive figure in Joseph Smith, please keep discussion civil.

Last edited:
The mormons are amongst the most interesting phenomenoms in the history of the US. Really interesting TL. Follow

First thing's first, for Joseph Smith to have a successful campaign his platform will have to be altered some. His penal system reform plan has to go, as well as open borders, have him play to a Manifest Destiny. The rest I think can be made to work. At least that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

His favouring a voluntary annexation of Texas, Mexico & Oregon seems in line with the belief that the new Americans would be happy to be conquered.

His favouring a voluntary annexation of Texas, Mexico & Oregon seems in line with the belief that the new Americans would be happy to be conquered.
I'll be honest, I don't see Texas joining this Union, not willingly at least. The slavery issue. As for Oregon, I'm not sure what to do.

I'll be honest, I don't see Texas joining this Union, not willingly at least. The slavery issue. As for Oregon, I'm not sure what to do.

If he can be acceptable enough to be president for a day, even if highly controversial, I don't see why Texas would reject the Union.
Now a lot of negotiations will be butterflied with Oregon, so that's really open.

If he can be acceptable enough to be president for a day, even if highly controversial, I don't see why Texas would reject the Union.
Now a lot of negotiations will be butterflied with Oregon, so that's really open.
Well their Constitution gives some pretty good reasons. With Smit arguing for emancipation they have certain laws that wouldn't sit well.

The Section 9 of the General Provisions of the Constitution of the Republic of Texas, ratified in 1836, made slavery legal again in Texas and defined the status of slaves and people of color in the Republic of Texas.

• People of color who had been servants for life under Mexican law would become property.
  • Congress should pass no law restricting emigrants from bring their slaves into Texas.
  • Congress shall not have the power to emancipate slaves.
  • Slave owners may not free their slaves without Congressional approval unless the freed slaves leave Texas.
  • Free persons of African descent were required to petition the Texas Congress for permission to continue living in the country.
  • Africans and the descendants of Africans and Indians were excluded from the class of 'persons' having rights.
The following year all those who had been living in Texas at the time of independence were allowed to remain. On the other hand, the legislature created political segregation; it classified free residents with at least 1/8 African heritage (the equivalent to one great-grandparent) as a separate category, and abrogated their citizens' rights, prohibiting them from voting, owning property, testifying against whites in court, or intermarrying with whites. As planters increased cotton production, they rapidly increased the purchase and transport of slaves. By 1840 there were 11,323 slaves in Texas.

In short they were pretty committed to the slavery thing.

A brief overview of the Smith campaign
The campaign of Joseph Smith Jr. and the newly formed Reform Party during the election of 1844 is often looked at as a blueprint for grassroots movements. Over three hundred electioneers departed from Nauvoo, going to every state and territory to spread Smith's platform. In general people were impressed with the platform and many of the church's most affluent speakers including ten of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles were counted among the electioneers.

Of course these electioneers also took time to proselyte and faced many adversities because of their faith. Still the efforts of these men did much to spread the word of Smith's candidacy and win voters, as well as bring to light the plights the Mormons had faced in places like Missouri.

Joseph Smith himself was not idle often campaigning throughout Illinois. Smith also appealed to his acquaintance in Washington and future Attorney General and President Stephen A. Douglas, then a member of the House of Representatives to lobby for him. The following is a Smith sent to Douglas:

Dear Representative Douglas,

I hope this letter finds you well. As you are no doubt aware I am running for the office of the Presidency. When we met last year you made a very good impression on me. I ask for your help in my campaign. I petition for you to lobby for me in Washington. I feel this campaign is the only way for my people to find restitution for the crimes committed against us in Missouri. Even if you do not feel inclined to endorse me politically I implore you to at last support me in this matter.

Sincerely,

Joseph Smith Jr.

Douglas' interaction with Smith in 1843 is well-documented and it was recorded that he was sympathetic to the Saints. Douglas became an outspoken advocate for the LDS church and Smith's candidacy, even going so far as to join the reform party.

The reasons for this may have been more selfish than altruistic however. During that dinner in 1843 where the two future Presidents met Joseph Smith made a prophecy concerning Douglas:

Dined with Judge Stephen A. Douglas, who is presiding at court. After dinner Judge Douglas requested President Joseph to give him a history of the Missouri persecution, which he did in a very minute manner, for about three hours. He also gave a relation of his journey to Washington city, and his application in behalf of the Saints to Mr. Van Buren, the President of the United States, for redress and Mr. Van Buren's pusillanimous reply, "Gentlemen, your cause is just, but I can do nothing for you;" and the cold, unfeeling manner in which he was treated by most of the senators and representatives in relation to the subject, Clay saying, "You had better go to Oregon," and Calhoun shaking his head solemnly, saying, "It's a nice question—a critical question, but it will not do to agitate it."

The judge listened with the greatest attention and spoke warmly in depreciation of the conduct of Governor Boggs and the authorities of Missouri, who had taken part in the extermination, and said that any people that would do as the mobs of Missouri had done ought to be brought to judgment: they ought to be punished.

President Smith, in concluding his remarks, said that if the government, which received into its coffers the money of citizens for its public lands, while its officials are rolling in luxury at the expense of its public treasury, cannot protect such citizens in their lives and property, it is an old granny anyhow; and I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left, for their wickedness in permitting the murder of men, women and children, and the wholesale plunder and extermination of thousands of her citizens to go unpunished, thereby perpetrating a foul and corroding blot upon the fair fame of this great republic, the very thought of which would have caused the high-minded and patriotic framers of the Constitution of the United States to hide their faces with shame. Judge, you will aspire to the presidency of the United States; and if ever you turn your hand against me or the Latter-day Saints, you will feel the weight of the hand of Almighty upon you; and you will live to see and know that I have testified the truth to you; for the conversation of this day will stick to you through life.

He [Judge Douglas] appeared very friendly, and acknowledged the truth and propriety of President Smith's remarks.

-Taken from the diary of William Clayton, Joseph Smith's secretary.

It's quite possible that with Smith's platform gaining steam, his ideas for abolition with compensation even being well received in Kentucky tat Douglas saw a potential Smith presidency as his own ticket to the top. The prophecy no doubt echoed in his head as he made these decisions.

- Excerpt from The Presidency That Changed America, Frank Louis, 2014.

Consider me followed. Will be interesting to see if the saints still move west, or if they build up Illinois and Iowa. The Nauvoo temple was being built at this time. This could totally butterfly away the Mormon trail.

I'm glad people are enjoying this. I was afraid it wouldn't go over well. Of course the real fun starts when he's in office. Which will be in a couple posts.

Polk and Clay Attack
1 August, 1844, Nauvoo Illinois:

Joseph crumpled the newspaper he was reading in frustration. His wife Emma looked on with concern and warmth. Joseph's ending of polygamy had done much to heal the growing rift in their marriage. “What is the matter my dear husband?” She asked.

“Let it never be said that I do not bring people together Emma. The growing popularity of my candidacy has brought together James Polk and Henry Clay. The two men who were such bitter rivals in running for the highest office have now taken it upon themselves to band together and slander me.”

“It seems to me that in a way this is a good thing. It means they see you as someone they need to campaign against. The fact that they've put their differences aside shows how well received your candidacy has been.” Emma consoled.

“Yes, that much is true, still I can't let their attacks go unanswered.” Joseph said.

James K. Polk and Henry Clay's attacks on Joseph Smith were largely focused on the angle that his election would see the United States turned into a theocracy. The two men while on opposite sides of many issues such as the annexation of Texas joined together to warn against what they considered the dangers of electing a man who claimed to be God's spokesman on the Earth.

This message had its audience of course. There were many places in which the Mormon religion and by extension future President Smith were very unpopular. As such these accusations could not go unanswered, otherwise the damage to the campaign would have been immense. To the end Joseph dictated an open letter that was sent to newspapers nationwide. The following is an except from that letter:

Recently my opponents have seen fit to claim that if I am elected I would make the United States a theocracy under my church. Such accusations could not be any further from the truth. I write this to assure every man, woman, and child in this great nation that the Latter-Day Saints have nothing but the utmost respect for the First Amendment and the other institutions that are the cornerstone of the United States.

Indeed it must be so, my people have been chased out of state after state for our beliefs. How could people who have been subjected to such crimes inflict that suffering on others? I have no intention of stripping away the rights of anyone. To do so would make me no better than those that persecuted my people.

This attacks on me are nothing more than blatant fear mongering. They wish to discredit my candidacy with these cheap attacks. If Mr. Polk and Mr. Clay wish to engage me on the issues that face the United States I will happily rise to the occasion, but these attacks do little more than reflect poorly on my opponents.

- Excerpt form Prophet and President: A Biography Joseph Smith Jr. by Caitlin Young published 2000

Its certainly an interesting approach to OTL.

You know, I am curious as to weather Smith would get in in 1844, but would rather be elected in 1848. Granted, the 1848 revolutions in Europe didn't really effect the US that much, but say in the aftermath of the Mexican-American War, it could be an interesting reaction to say that Smith somehow gets elected in that year. ...

Its certainly an interesting approach to OTL.

You know, I am curious as to weather Smith would get in in 1844, but would rather be elected in 1848. Granted, the 1848 revolutions in Europe didn't really effect the US that much, but say in the aftermath of the Mexican-American War, it could be an interesting reaction to say that Smith somehow gets elected in that year. ...
Oh he's getting in this election at least in this timeline. I've already got some things planned out and I've already calculated the bare minimum states he needs to win.