Alternate History Quotes

this thread is meant to be like the alternate vehicles of nations thread, but with quotes. These can be from either real people or fictional characters butterflied in by a POD. The only rules are that you must post a quote and the person who said it. A date is highly encouraged.

Some real-world quotes from WW2 to help give you some ideas.

• “We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.”

-Winston Churchill, 1940

• The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put that rather naïve theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind.

-Bomber Harris, 1940

•I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

-Robert Oppenheimer, 1945

• Czechoslovakia has ceased to exist

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

I’ll start with an AH quote of my own.

“Perhaps Heinkel can build fighters”

-Eric Hartmann, 1942, after flying the production He-280 for the first time.

"The best decision of my life was sticking with show business."

John Wilkes Booth, 1922, upon accepting the "Drama League Lifetime Achievement Award."

"It is at times like this that I am reminded of the old American saying. 'You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.'"

Winston Churchill, to Rudolf Hess, at the signing of the Treaty of Geneva, ending the Second World War, 21 June 1941

"Mr. President, this is not a civil war, not any war, it's a genocide."

Secretary of Defense James Atto, on the situation in Rwanda, to President Stan Kennedy.

“By god, we’re screwed.”
-Joseph Stalin upon receiving intelligence that the US, the U.K., and France have agreed to perform Operation Unthinkable