AHC/WI: A surviving Majapahit Rump-state

Majapahit was once the largest Southeast Asian Empires in history. Encompassing Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia, and parts of Thailand and the Philippines, this Hindu-Buddhist empire centered in Java created a Thalassocracy that controlled the Spice Trade. However, it's power began to decline, as Islam rose in Southeast Asia thanks to Arab merchants and local kingdoms began to break off. This included the Malacca Sultanate, that controlled the vital straits. Eventually, due to internal and external pressures, Majapahit withered away, but small bits of it remained till the early 16th Century. The deathblow came from the Demak Sultanate invaded due to Majapahit trying ally with the Portuguese around the 1520s, ending Majapahit. Though the majority of Indonesia converted to Islam (The only island remaining majority Hindu is Bali), Majapahit remains an important legacy and lives in folklore of the islands.

A long while ago, I made a question about Majapahit surviving as a Rump-state almost 6 years ago. It was one of my first threads on this site (And boy, does it show). This thread is going to be a sort of revival.

The question in hand is "What if a Majapahit survived as a diminished rump-state, centered around the Eastern half of Java?" Like if the Portuguese and Majapahit allied and crush the Demak Sultanate, or if the Demak Sultanate never invaded?

Now, I'm not asking for a Majapahit wank, and them reclaiming all of Nusantara. I'm just asking for Majapahit (And most importantly, Hinduism) to survive in Java to the effects. They could still be conquered by Europeans, or even survive past that and into the present day like the Pakualaman and the Yogyakarta Sultanate as a "Special Autonmous Zone"

Now, if a small Majapahit survived, how would this effect the culture of Java, since they were Hindu-Buddhists. Or how would they effect their own legacy as a whole?

If we place a bit of a butterfly net around Southeast Asia, I could imagine a world where the British decide it’s worth keeping Indonesia after the napoleonic wars, with it seen more properly as an extension of india. From there perhaps you could see the majapahit rulers entering the marriage market of princely states.

I can't find anything too specific about Majapathit overtures to the Portuguese in Malacca. I don't know when the embassies took place or if they received any response...

I suppose the problem is that the Majapathit remnant was located in Daha (modern day Kediri), an interior city in Eastern Java. It was a lot less accessible for the Portuguese than Sunda (with which they did form an alliance IOTL), and Demak was right there in the middle. I don't think an alliance would have been possible without a stronger Portuguese presence in the first.

Therefore, it would probably have been better if Majapathit had refrained from trying to ally with Portugal as soon as they did, seeing as that's what seems to have caused the final Demak invasion. If the Portuguese had managed to return to Java a little bit sooner and successfully reinforced Sunda Kelapa, preventing its fall to Demak in 1527, the conditions might have been right for a Luso-Sundanese-Majapathit coalition against Demak a few years down the line.

Last edited: