A question about " Empty America "

I am just starting to get into this massive work after seeing a map posted by Scarecrow in the original Map Thread.

But I have one question for those who have read it, and figured I would get more of a response here than on SHWI. In EA, there is a large Chinese colony in North and South America, called Mu-lan-P'i or something of the like (and the ethnic Chinese are called Nangiyan). So how exactly did this colony arise? Admittedly I am only near the beginning, so just tell me if it is pointed out in a later post. Was it a Song dynasty colony that later became independent, or what?

Some shedding of light would be greatly appreciated.

http://groups.google.com/group/soc....?lnk=gst&q="Empty+America"+1#9582704401e1895b

Neroon

Banned
Was it a Song dynasty colony that later became independent, or what?
Yes. Independence by default more like. IIRC the vice gouvernor overthrew the gouvernor when the Mongols conquered the Song. He didn't officially proclaim independence, just stayed loyal to the Song emperor instead of swearing allegiance to the new rulers of China. Given that there was no Song emperor to be loyal to anymore, the colony was de-facto independent. After consolidating his position he then proclaimed himself ruler of Mul Lan Pi much later.

Yes. Independence by default more like. IIRC the vice gouvernor overthrew the gouvernor when the Mongols conquered the Song. He didn't officially proclaim independence, just stayed loyal to the Song emperor instead of swearing allegiance to the new rulers of China. Given that there was no Song emperor to be loyal to anymore, the colony was de-facto independent. After consolidating his position he then proclaimed himself ruler of Mul Lan Pi much later.

Did the writer of EA (forget his name) ever go into detail as to how Mu-lan-P'i was colonized?

The writer, Doug Hoff (whose site was probably the most read alternate history site before this one came around) explained the Chinese colonisation by having Francis Bacon explain it to three Italians in the Yucatan. I forget what it exactly was, but it had something to do with a resource the Chinese didn't have back home.