A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

Here is your reminder that Algeria is complicated. It is classified currently as having been a colony, but for the era, it was seen as part of France... albeit having a massive disenfranchised population.
I once asked my metropolitan grandma about it, apparently most people didn't really think it was part of France. I mean, it's probably a bit like Guyane now...

The Emperor of Annam at that point is trying to get a few things from France, like reuniting the two protectorates of Tonkin and Annam - which are for two parts of the same Empire of Annam - into a single protectorate.
To note that the then emperor was an inefficient winebag

Better to "de-Prussianise" Germany and allow it to compete peacefully within the context of a peaceful Europe.
Put the capital in Munich and let Bavarian run the show?

PKDkd33

Monthly Donor
I think Americans are just weird like that. English counties have been united now for over 1,000 years and we never say “I’m from Northumberland in England”.
I usually say I'm from God's own country, Yorkshire lol

Last edited:
I think Americans are just weird like that. English counties have been united now for over 1,000 years and we never say “I’m from Northumberland in England”.
Well, the US states are more distinct from each other. Mostly due to the sheer size of the nation. You can damn near fit all of the UK into California or Texas. Being a much younger nation also helps there, and each state having more say in what happens in that state. It's like a big bundle of pseudo-countries, after all.

Well, the US states are more distinct from each other. Mostly due to the sheer size of the nation. You can damn near fit all of the UK into California or Texas. Being a much younger nation also helps there, and each state having more say in what happens in that state. It's like a big bundle of pseudo-countries, after all.
Pseudo being the master word here. While they are much more different from one another than counties would be, they have inifintely less legal and social diversity than what you’d find among actual neighbouring countries.

*near*? I guarantee you can fit the UK in Texas, and if you can't fit the UK in California, it is because the tip of Cornwall would stick out into the Pacific. (See also Alaska, Nevada and Montana)

Sure, but also a lack of awareness to assume that somebody from Greece, say, would know about American states.

Tourist: I’m from Oregon
Local : ...?
Tourist: USA
Local: Oh, ok. Is that near New York?

Tourist: I’m from Utah.
Local: ...?
Tourist: Utah, USA.

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Sure, but also a lack of awareness to assume that somebody from Greece, say, would know about American states.

I was on Holiday in America in 1995

Waitress in a small town Pizza place with Chick tracts on the tables: Where are you from
Me. Medway its a town in Southern England
W: Oh we had a guy from Birmingham here a few years ago. Do you know him???

Waitress in a small town Pizza place with Chick tracts on the tables: Where are you from
But did you knew the guy ?

XD

Driftless

Donor

It's how we self-identify at home. Standard question and reply when business/pleasure/education Americans are travelling within the US. We do the same outside the US. You're reading too much into this.

Yeah, us Canadians get that a lot too, even from Americans.
"Oh, do you know Dave from Toronto?"
"I live in Victoria."
"Tell Dave I said hi!"
"I LIVE ON AN ISLAND!"

And no, I do not know anyone named Dave.

When I moved from Pennsylvania to Oregon, I regularly encountered people here who, when I told them I was from Pennsylvania, would say things like "Oh, I have a cousin from Virginia" or "Oh, I've been to New Hampshire" or the like. To which my mental inner voice would respond, "Those are other states. Not Pennsylvania. I'm from Pennsylvania."

It's not just about USA (or from USA).

When we last visited Greece (Creta, to be exact), a british tourist asked my wife if she was greek.....

The problem? My wife is Chinese (and definitely looks like so). We're still laughing about it.

Yeah but to people in small towns this kind of association question usually works. Hell, it sort of works for Kiwis too

I forget who said it on twitter, but there's something deeply irritating for a Kiwi about being overseas and asked 'You're from New Zealand? Do you know Steve?' and having to reply '... Yes.'

All of New Zealand's population growth, and yet we've been made even smaller by social media- you really are six degrees from everyone else.

Last edited:

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
It's not just about USA (or from USA).

When we last visited Greece (Creta, to be exact), a british tourist asked my wife if she was greek.....

The problem? My wife is Chinese (and definitely looks like so). We're still laughing about it.

That's because the 'best' British people accept that people who look 'Asian' or 'African' are British so why should you wife looking Chinese mean that she can not be Greek?

That's because the 'best' British people accept that people who look 'Asian' or 'African' are British so why should you wife looking Chinese mean that she can not be Greek?

Maybe because the Greek Empire did not quite extend to China (despite Alexander)

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Maybe because the Greek Empire did not quite extend to China (despite Alexander)

Whilst it is true that the British at one time or another occupied or conquered just about every peoples on Earth somebody can be British without them or their families have to come from old parts of the Empire.