Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another map just for fun. I seem to like giving 19th century technology to random cultures of choice...

Huh. Is this a somehow surviving chunk of the old Romanitas, or some sort of weird retro revival?

Bruce

(And what's that about Evangelion? Are giant steampunk robots involved? :D )

Huh. Is this a somehow surviving chunk of the old Romanitas, or some sort of weird retro revival?

Bruce

(And what's that about Evangelion? Are giant steampunk robots involved? :D )

I think Rome is the Byzantine Empire. The imagery seems to suggest it.

Krall

Banned
I really like that ATL browser.
Wow, I hadn't noticed that! Very cool, Krall!
GREAT map. :)

Thanks! Making that fake browser UI was kind of a hassle - it was difficult making it look alternate yet realistic. I'm happy with how it came out, though. :)

However, I don't know if a state like that could... work. I mean, it's surrounded by an hostile state...

Fortunately it's a hostile state that's busy elsewhere and doesn't have many friends - I imagine the Idel-Ural Federation negotiated some deal whereby there are much reduced trade tariffs between them and the USSR, whilst also allowing free movement through certain regions (such as through Orenburg, to Turkestan, or down the Volga, to the Caspian) for commercial purposes. The other option would've been "Or we get our mates in Central Asia and NATO to beat you up".

Plus this is a chaotic time for Russia politically too - with the apparent failure of the current ruling nationalists to maintain Russia's territorial integrity, I imagine support for more liberal factions will grow at least to the point where they stop the Russian right-wing from trying something like this again. :)

Nice map! I'd love more information on the world, but the map looks great all the same. :)

Crossposting from the map contest:

TIMELINE – 141034 Cold War: Part One - Focus on Kenya by Zauberfloete

It is the year 2022. The United States have just landed a man on Mars, marking the biggest leap of mankind’s technological prowess; the Soviet Union is nearing its one-hundredth anniversary and in Kenya President Obama fights a grueling war against the Islamic Insurgents in its coastal and eastern provinces. Supported by the US, Kenyan forces are beginning to make inroads into rebel held areas, after nearly two decades of stalemate.

Now the tide turns and the Islamists are getting desperate. Suicide attacks on civil and governmental institution are increasing, as the Kenyan army brutally retaliates against suspected and real terrorists. President Obama and his people are on the verge of total victory though how high the cost…

This is part of an Alternate World, a world which is still locked in a Cold war between the United States of America and the Soviet Union, a world where man didn’t retreated from space with moon bases dotting the lunar landscape and where man walks on Mars. An alternate timeline were beside the Cold War there rages numerous conflicts, a bloody War on Drugs in Mexico, Islamists insurgency on the Arabian Peninsula, ethnic cleansing in Africa and others. And China, a China where the third “Gang of Four” lives to the dogma of Chairman Mao.

A world just like our timeline, but different still; where technological advances walk side-by-side with the misery of a Nigerian slum child and where capitalism rules, bolshevism stagnates and Mao bloodies.

A grim world, an advanced world, a corrupt, a naïve, an ideological, a multicultural, a religious, a militaristic, a communist, a democratic World. Watch out for the differences…

Great map, Zauberfloete! I love the details about the alternate space exploration/colonisation and the continuing Cold War. :D

Thanks! Making that fake browser UI was kind of a hassle - it was difficult making it look alternate yet realistic. I'm happy with how it came out, though. :)

It was the first thing I noticed, actually - looks like browsers did a couple of years again, with the address bar above the tab selector.

Krall

Banned
It was the first thing I noticed, actually - looks like browsers did a couple of years again, with the address bar above the tab selector.

I realised why they changed that whilst I was designing the UI - it's because if they're at the very top of the screen it's impossible to "overshoot" and accidentally click above them, which makes them easier to select quickly.

I was considering changing it for "realism"'s sake, but in my head that UI is actually a custom skin the person uses, rather than the standard design. :p

I realised why they changed that whilst I was designing the UI - it's because if they're at the very top of the screen it's impossible to "overshoot" and accidentally click above them, which makes them easier to select quickly.

I was considering changing it for "realism"'s sake, but in my head that UI is actually a custom skin the person uses, rather than the standard design. :p

IE9 still has the adress bar at the top, so it could just be a design choice.

Crossposting from the map contest:

Wouldn't Obama be seen as a tad too white for high office in Kenya? I am also unsure about which group his father was from which may be important, as I have gained several Kenyan friends over the past two years and one told me about how important tribal connections were in politics.

I think Rome is the Byzantine Empire. The imagery seems to suggest it.

Absolutely correct, it is indeed a surviving Byzantine Empire.

The Evangelion refers to the logo in the top right, A E standing for Archon ton Evangelion, which may possibly be horrible Greek. It's intended to be a quasi Ministry of Propaganda.

What's up with North/South Prussia?

This is a comment on my map right? Well, ITTL Prussia expanded southwards, and a lot less than OTL. It didn't have its rise to power and didn't join with Brandenburg. At a certain moment it became a bit big to control as one state, after having joined the German Empire, so it was split up.

PS Do you know (or anyone else) how I can post the full size image (a very big one) without something like a DeviantArt account? It's too big for imgur, by the way.

A Random WIp Map.

asfasfasfa.png

usanhuiy.png

Here's an alternative US scenario, with them gaining Nova Scotia somehow. This is taken from my timeline, but since I like focussing on maps I figured I'd post it here, too. :)

EDIT: Noted that I linked to a previous version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.