The “Magnificent Age” - Catherine II TL

So ITTL I need to invent some equivalentt plausible reason for CII to react and/or to just to have him die ahead of the schedule.
He can burn his political capital fighting the Grand Duke for control of the navy no? Paul appears to be decent at handling the navy and may deliver a competent force if things go well for him, especially during his reign.

There is no reason to follow OTL to the letter: it is alt history after all. But the Hell is in the details on which I did not decide, yet. 😉
I wouldn't mind him being made into fertiliser, he might - barely- be somewhat useful in that capacity. That is a 100% improvement (probably more) over his current state.

You are so incredibly vicious…. as always. But, of course, this is a valid option. 😂
What can I say, im allergic to self enriching at the cost of the little guy. A very simple possibility would have him talk horribly about Ekaterina for her to hear it. Maybe have him put Peter over her. That would make him a prime target

I don't think you need to overthink Potemkin. We've already established this is a different Catherine who was an order of magnitude less generous in her gifts. Even if she isn't much more prone to deep dives to check things are what they claimed, she is going to be more disturbed by his grandesk finances compared to actual results. Looks like he is on a collision course with a bunch of people who will make nasty accusations about him, which will turn out to be true on inspection.