Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Anna’s comeuppance is when her Cousin Erich of the Marine Infantry pulls up in a lorry and tells her hi is just repaying back her father by taking her to the KLM women’s boot camp to start her new career as a Mess Mate on His Imperial Majesty’s Ships.

Anna’s comeuppance is when her Cousin Erich of the Marine Infantry pulls up in a lorry and tells her hi is just repaying back her father by taking her to the KLM women’s boot camp to start her new career as a Mess Mate on His Imperial Majesty’s Ships.
I reckon Anna’s comeuppance will happen when Zella von Holz is looking around for a new show to pitch and comes up with a show taking delinquent girls & taking them ‘back in time‘ to the 1940s and the Soviet War. Will dreadful Anna end up mucking out pigsties in the Women’s Land Army? Will she be dicing with danger filling shells in a munitions factory? Or will she be doing square bashing and drill as part of the Women’s Auxiliaries? In any case, it’ll show the 'soft youth of today' the struggles their mothers and grandmothers faced in the war years.
I see it like a cross between the British show 'Bad Lads Army' meets a 'historical recreation' show. Interior Minister Helene v. Richthofen-Mischner would likely approve & the production might get bankrolled by Dame Greta v.Wovogle-Knispel. Reality TV gold!

Last edited:
Yeah, he's doomed alright. Poor bugger might as well have given her a kitten and/or puppy.

Edit:
The main reason Tilo has "guided" Erich into the Navy's Special Forces, aside from hoping that he dies conveniently in a training accident, is because Tilo is very much aware of his family's history and reputation re: the females of the clan. Tilo is very purposely keeping them as far apart as is possible until Gretchen has, at the very least, graduated from her school and is safely in university BEFORE she and Erich start making babies.
I have been wondering if her sister Anna would turn out to be "Myrtle the fertile Turtle", that would be interesting.

Having seen @Peabody-Martini 's wit and humor in full display throughout this entertaining story line, I am putting my money on the best revenge on Anna being that as she is stuck doing menial labor that is far from flattering that she will be forced to listen to all the others around her talk about how her sister Gretchen and her handsome rising star date were the bells of the Regatta ball, and all about how these other girls envied Gretchen.

Part 156, Chapter 2829 New
Chapter Two Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty-Nine

26th June 1980

Langeoog, East Frisian Islands

Jack had heard plenty about this place, but had never actually come here until now, and instantly understood why Marie liked it here. Langeoog was a bit difficult to get to and once you were on the island everything moved at a much slower pace. This was certainly helped by a ban on automobiles aside from some commercial and emergency vehicles. He had figured this out as he had first been delayed while waiting for the ferry to leave the mainland and then waiting for the narrow-gauge train that let him off in the center of the Town of Langeoog. It was a bit annoying that he had to walk from the train station to the house and that it was way out on the eastern end of town. He had noticed that he was getting dirty looks from the locals the whole time. It wasn’t quite holiday season yet, it was a weekday, and he wasn’t dressed like a tourist. Jack had heard about what had happened to a few journalists who had come looking for Marie on Langeoog, so it was easy to assume what their assumptions were.

The house itself was unassuming, looking the same as nearly every other house that Jack had seen on the island. He knew that the house had been built in 1953 after the old one had been heavily damaged by a storm. Katherine’s vacation home had been located on this spot since she had been granted it along the rest of East Frisia when she had been made a Freiherrin, meaning Baroness in English, the first of several courtly promotions. That was the result of saving the lives of several members of the German Royal family from an NKVD assassination team. Despite that incident being well documented and there even having been a film made, there were some people who questioned if it had happened the way depicted or even if it had happened at all. Despite the whole thing seeming far-fetched, Jack knew better than most Katherine von Mischner’s propensity towards violence and ruthless nature. He had absolutely no doubt that the Russian agents had been real and that Kat had not hesitated when she got the drop on them. Kat had told Jack that she still had the Italian made submachinegun she had used that day, he wasn’t in the least bit surprised.

These days, with her role as the Prefect of Berlin consuming so much of her time, Kat seldom came to Langeoog these days. Instead it was her daughter Marie Alexandra who spent much of the summer because she liked the quiet and relative isolation. Kat had discussed with Jack the idea that perhaps she should give Marie the patent of Nobility, making Marie the Gräfin of East Fresia. Jack knew that if that happened then Marie would be under pressure to drop her studies in Ireland and he would lose her services as an investigator, while he doubted that she would ever be any sort of trial lawyer, Marie was good at doing the sort of one-on-one interviews that were key in gathering evidence. Beyond that, Jack wondered what the consequences of that would be. It was an insular region that had its own dialect of German, it was also of huge strategic and economic importance to the German Empire. How would the Reichstag in Berlin or the Landtag in Hanover react to that? Jack had no idea. He had advised Kat to hold off until she had a better feel for what the reaction would be. He just hoped that she listened…

Jack stopped musing as he got to the door. Knocking on it, he was met with silence. It was early afternoon, so Marie had to be awake. After a few minutes, Marie opened the door a crack and peeked out.

“Don’t you have better places to be?” Marie asked as she opened the door.

“Actually no” Jack replied as he stepped into the house. “There was a development in the case and I…”

Jack saw the sword that Marie was holding in her hand. It looked like the fencing foil that was used in sport. The blade with a triangular profile and needlelike point though suggested that it was not intended for that purpose though.

“Expecting trouble?” Jack asked. He had a good idea of what Marie was capable of and wasn’t eager to find out if she was as ruthless as her mother when push came to shove.

“There have been threats” Marie said as she slid the sword back into the sheath that was hanging on the coatrack next to the door. “The smallsword was a birthday present from my mother. She said that if I insist that I be alone that I should be able to protect myself.”

As Lawyer, Jack knew that there were all sorts of things wrong with that and that had landed Kat in legal hot water in the past. However, as a father he had a different perspective. He doubted that his daughter Jacqueline would have the wherewithal, of course when last he had seen her she had been asleep in the same bedroom she’d had since she was a baby. Marie had offered to let Jackie come with her, but she had declined. He suspected that Jackie was embarrassed by the idea of what she had heard about beaches on the Continent but had realized that she would be even more embarrassed if he brought that up with her.

“I came here to tell you that there has been a break in the case” Jack said.

Marie gave him a quizzical look. When she had left Ireland they had still been in midst of pretrial negotiations which had been expected to drag on for months.

“It seemed that the defendant’s lawyers had an epiphany of sorts, I suspect that there were few angry calls from Rome about being made to look bad on television and newspapers as well” Jack said, “Things are moving in a different direction now.”

“Oh” Marie replied, as if she were sorry to hear that.

For those of you who don't know what a Smallsword looks like. It is easy to see why Marie would have one.

DSC1261.jpg