For the Republic: A History of the Second American Civil War

I am just releaved that it isn't a repeat of Andrew Johnson and insane apologists crap that he pulled after the first civil war.

I mean would Garner actually be more lenient on members and supporters of the NatCorp than Al Smith?
Not from what I can tell. Of course, on paper, Andrew Johnson doesn’t look like the kind of guy to do the things he ended up doing, but I don’t see why the Natcorp regime would get reprieve by Garner being in charge. We’ve already established that while Garner and Smith are very different men with very different political plans, both are earnest Republicans.

Then again, their relatively conservative views could lead them towards the idea only the big names, fanatics, and obviously odious war criminals should be punished with the rank-and-file and middle management types allowed to quietly return back to society as long as they accept they had lost.
Given how much suffering has resulted as a result of Hoover's machinations, I seriously doubt people would anything less than life in prison at minimum.
Not from what I can tell. Of course, on paper, Andrew Johnson doesn’t look like the kind of guy to do the things he ended up doing, but I don’t see why the Natcorp regime would get reprieve by Garner being in charge. We’ve already established that while Garner and Smith are very different men with very different political plans, both are earnest Republicans.
Yeah I fail to see how a leader of ANY political stripe would be stupid enough to be lenient on mass murderers of your own people.

Curious how this will affect the South and Pacific states, outside of accelerating regionalism with the US.

I was talking in the context of broader de-NatCorpization vis-a-vis the handling of the middle management and the rank-and-file.
I would note, the middle management class as we understand it is nowhere near as pervasive as it was in say, Germany after the war. The entire Natcorp regime has been and remains very ad hoc in its construction, and even before the war the existing civil service was nowhere near as a sprawling as it is in our own modern society.

Lack of organization is a key feature of Natcorp governance, most of which is leaning heavily on the few friendly state governments under its control to do most of the day-to-day governance and then implementing military occupation governments in the conquered territories.

I like this a lot, not gonna lie. Might just run with it... ;)
Thank you for taking my idea into consideration, though in my opinion I think you should write this chapter near the end of the war when the dust settles a bit.
Out of curiosity, how many chapters do you still have planned?

I've just read Shackles of the Regime on the Natcorp forced labour and death camps as well as Bonnie & Clyde being caught and given the choice of execution or collaboration. I'm kind of wondering if the Republic would implement a similar scheme, albeit for war profiteers (and other criminals)?

In his War is a Racket book, one of Smedley Butler's suggestions to dismantle the war racket was to "conscript capital and industry and labor." He explained this by suggesting that the monthly income of not just the workers but also the tycoons, bankers, military personnel and politicians be restricted and not exceed the same wage as the soldiers fighting on the front-lines.

One way Butler and the Republic ITTL could punish war profiteers if they were caught is to not only restrict (or deny) their income but also sentence them to work in the factories with their workers. Basically "conscript them into the war effort" rather than just having them sit in prison all day.

However I'm not sure if forced/penal labour is something that the Republic is willing to implement as not only is it a violation of alot of domestic and international laws but it obviously will lead to unfavourable comparisons to the Natcorps and contribute to the prison–industrial complex, something that Butler would definitely hate. Herbert Hoover had also advocated and implemented prison reform before the War so that would be an easy way to for him to attack Smith and his administration.

What do you think?

I would note, the middle management class as we understand it is nowhere near as pervasive as it was in say, Germany after the war. The entire Natcorp regime has been and remains very ad hoc in its construction, and even before the war the existing civil service was nowhere near as a sprawling as it is in our own modern society.

Lack of organization is a key feature of Natcorp governance, most of which is leaning heavily on the few friendly state governments under its control to do most of the day-to-day governance and then implementing military occupation governments in the conquered territories.
On that note, what you mentioned illustrates how America has often lagged behind Europe vis-a-vis state capacity and the development of a modern civil service.

Out of curiosity, how many chapters do you still have planned?
Not sure. The chapters aren’t planned at all. We’re trying to do a vignette every seven or eight or so. However, we’ve got so much of the TL planned out that typically I just cover whatever seems ahead of us logically.
I've just read Shackles of the Regime on the Natcorp forced labour and death camps as well as Bonnie & Clyde being caught and given the choice of execution or collaboration. I'm kind of wondering if the Republic would implement a similar scheme, albeit for war profiteers (and other criminals)?
The Secret Service is certainly ruthless enough to force captured Natcorps into these kinds of arrangements. I’m hoping to make an update on this in the near future.
One way Butler and the Republic ITTL could punish war profiteers if they were caught is to not only restrict (or deny) their income but also sentence them to work in the factories with their workers. Basically "conscript them into the war effort" rather than just having them sit in prison all day.

However I'm not sure if forced/penal labour is something that the Republic is willing to implement as not only is it a violation of alot of domestic and international laws but it obviously will lead to unfavourable comparisons to the Natcorps and contribute to the prison–industrial complex, something that Butler would definitely hate. Herbert Hoover had also advocated and implemented prison reform before the War so that would be an easy way to for him to attack Smith and his administration.

What do you think?
I think the main issue is that Natcorp war profiteers just aren’t useful for labor. It’s a great way to punish them, but killing them and taking all their assets is a much better way to get what they actually want. After all, there are only so many profiteers out there. They aren’t useful as a laboring class.

Republicans 100% aren’t above employing work camps to get what they want. Hell, the way New England organized labor is treated isn’t far off from forced work.

Out of curiosity but has SACW accelerated the transition from biplanes to monoplanes earlier than OTL.
Asking since it took world war 2 to expose the glaring flaws of biplanes.
It most definitely has. Just as the Spanish Civil War was seen as a dress rehearsal for the Second World War OTL, the SACW is that on an even larger scale. Biplanes have almost completely fallen out of use in combat capacity by this point, and they’re being replaced in non-combat roles as well.

It most definitely has. Just as the Spanish Civil War was seen as a dress rehearsal for the Second World War OTL, the SACW is that on an even larger scale. Biplanes have almost completely fallen out of use in combat capacity by this point, and they’re being replaced in non-combat roles as well.
Now I am curious about which faction will develop jet fighters first.

So I recently read this graphic novel called "We are not Strangers" by John Tuininga, which was inspired by oral stories of the Sephradic (i.e. Mediterranean) Jewish community of Seattle and relationship with the Japanese community during the first half of the 20th century. Which snowballed into members of the former going out of way to assist residents of the latter community during their time in the internship camps of World war 2 when their assets and properties were seized. Since they saw the parallels going on to their fellows Jews within Axis territory at the time.

What I am getting to is this; how will the communities react to the outbreak of the SACW and the KKK seizing control of the Northwest of the US?